HFS disk workflow

General forum for non-support issues

Moderator: rich

HFS disk workflow

Postby Hubble » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Greetings, all!

Finally unpacked my CFFA tonight and it's working great! I'm a bit stumped on my first "archival" task, though, and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Basically I'm trying to rescue a bunch of old Mac 800K floppies, and get them into a format where I can access the files with CiderPress. I've loaded a 32MB virtual hard drive on the CFFA with GS/OS and the HFS FST, so I can read the disks no problem. But when I back them up to the hard drive image, obviously ProDos has to seriously truncate the filenames, sometimes to the point where I can no longer recognize what they are.

Can the "disk import" feature on the CFFA create images from HFS-formatted floppies? My guess is no, but I'm really exercising the grey cells here trying to recall everything I used to know about my Apple IIgs . . .

Failing that, can anyone think of a way I could have both a GS/OS system running AND an HFS disk large enough to hold about 20MB of files?

Many thanks in advance!
Hubble

Re: HFS disk workflow

Postby david__schmidt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Hubble wrote:Can the "disk import" feature on the CFFA create images from HFS-formatted floppies? My guess is no, but I'm really exercising the grey cells here trying to recall everything I used to know about my Apple IIgs . . .

I didn't try it myself, but I bet it would... blocks are blocks.
Hubble wrote:Failing that, can anyone think of a way I could have both a GS/OS system running AND an HFS disk large enough to hold about 20MB of files?

Sure. Create a new HFS disk image with CiderPress; make it as big as you like. Save that off to your CF or USB key, have the CFFA3000 mount it in the SmartPort, and then GSOS will have a nice big HFS volume to copy to.
david__schmidt

Postby Hubble » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Ah, but what if my GS/OS installation is running on the Smartport?
Hubble

Postby david__schmidt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Hubble wrote:Ah, but what if my GS/OS installation is running on the Smartport?

You can have lots and lots of disks mounted in the SmartPort. Floppy disk images are especially fast when mounted that way, as a matter of fact.
david__schmidt

Postby Hubble » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Of course. It's all coming back to me now. :-) I was confused, thinking of the physical disk-switching you need to do with disk II emulation. But of course you don't need it with the Smartport. Done and done - all my disks are rescued. Thanks for the fast replies, and sorry for the basic question!
Hubble

Return to CFFA3000 General Discussion