Run #2 is warming up, with new firmware for all

General forum for non-support issues

Moderator: rich

Run #2 is warming up, with new firmware for all

Postby david__schmidt » Wed May 30, 2012 11:29 am

As you can see on Rich's front page, he has been busy this Spring ordering circuit boards and parts to do another production run of the CFFA3000. In the mean time, Dave the Firmware Guy is busy improving the firmware - and that will benefit all CFFA3000 users, not just the run #2 folks. And I signed on for another stint of testing, so you get to hear more of my commentary. ;-)

I just got new CPLD (the really low-level code) and firmware (the mid-level code) from Dave, and am checking out the performance enhancements as well as the beginnings of subdirectory/folder support. There's a new read-ahead cache, managed by the card, that will benefit ProDOS sequential block reads. Plus lots of code streamlining (as well as divergent code paths for GS vs. non-GS machines) that has performance benefits as well.

Rich has been working on getting DMA to work, but hasn't met with enough success to make a commitment to it. So don't get your hearts set on that.

We've got a list of other feature requests from the forum and elsewhere, and I'll keep you updated on what gets implemented this go-round.
david__schmidt

Re: Run #2 is warming up, with new firmware for all

Postby david__schmidt » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:42 pm

A test batch of Run #2 has arrived. I'm currently testing card #2 from that batch:
DSCF2284a.jpg
DSCF2284a.jpg (65.63 KiB) Viewed 24696 times

DSCF2285a.jpg
DSCF2285a.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 24696 times

There's no physical differences between this run and the earlier one.
david__schmidt

Return to CFFA3000 General Discussion