USB "must format as MBR+FAT16/FAT32"

USB "must format as MBR+FAT16/FAT32"

Postby whollymindless » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:06 am

Upgrading from 3.0b1 to 3.0b4 has not been a big win for usb usage. Previously there were issues but now I can't even select assignments for smartport or Disk II emulation. After selecting a file, I get a low tone selecting the next file. Going back to the main screen it shows "USB: Must format as MBR + FAT16/FAT32". I previously (with 3.0b1) deleted the partition on the 8G drive and created a 2G partition so I could create a FAT16 partition but saw no difference. I recreated the full partition and reformatted as FAT32.

I've not seen where I can get a copy of the log. Is there a hidden option in the menu? I didn't see it in the available documentation.

CF usage seems to be solid so far.

Rob
whollymindless

Re: USB "must format as MBR+FAT16/FAT32"

Postby whollymindless » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Additional - My comment about CF did not include that I am running off of a Lexar 4G CF using multiple .po formatted image files - both 32m prodos and 256m HFS
whollymindless

Postby f8dy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Press Ctrl-D from the main configuration menu to get to the hidden Debug menu, where you can view and save the log. Turn on dip switch 3 to get a more detailed log.
f8dy

Postby whollymindless » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks. Will do.
whollymindless

Postby whollymindless » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Attached is a detailed log of what I am seeing. I noticed in the log some complaints about the cffa.cfg file. When I looked at the file on the usb, I found that it had a size of 0 bytes. So, I deleted it but it appears that it didn't change anything.

I did try to do the log without a CF installed to try to keep the log clean, but I was unable to write the log to USB.

The usb stick I am using is a dane-tek 8G. I've had no issues with it on other systems.
Attachments
CFFA.zip
Log file showing confusion with USB
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 2706 times
whollymindless

Postby whollymindless » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Update on using different usb keys:

2G Sandisk Cruzer U3 (with u3 partitioning removed) formatted fat16, never successfully retrieves file list. Always drops to the "must format" message on connection.

8G Patriot Rally 2 formatted fat32 was able to select two files and boot to gs/os. When trying to copy to the boot drive (from the other volume) a "Please insert" message was displayed (similar to what I saw when trying to copy to usb under 3.0b1) - Sad, I thought it was going to be happy with it.

While the insert message was displayed, I jumped to the control panel and it displayed "Ready" for the usb status. Asking for FAT status showed the two disk image files, but it appears that the volume info timed out instead of displaying the file list. Let me know if you would like me to try to capture more logs on this. Also, after reconnecting, I found that the boot .po file had been deleted and the other .po file had lost it's long filename. The cffa.cfg file was there with 0 bytes.
whollymindless

Postby f8dy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:28 pm

I have also seen disk images lose their long filename. Haven't ever had one deleted outright though. 3.0b3.
f8dy

Postby dlyons » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:34 pm

I have one USB drive that works great for reading, but often has trouble writing, and I have no diagnosis yet. The 0-length files and buzzing sounds are a consequence of the write errors.

We're currently one release behind on the open-source USB software, and I have high hopes that when I get a chance to integrate the latest, my write problems and yours will be solved.

--Dave, The Firmware Guy
dlyons

Files losing their long filenames

Postby david__schmidt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:11 am

f8dy wrote:I have also seen disk images lose their long filename. Haven't ever had one deleted outright though. 3.0b3.

I've seen this same thing from time to time. I *think* I see it more often when I bounce storage devices around between Mac, Windows, and CFFA3000. I haven't been able to come up with a reproducible scenario for Dave, The Firmware Guy yet, though.
david__schmidt

Postby bhtooefr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:58 pm

With 3.0b4, I find that as soon as it attempts to write, in ProDOS 1.9, on a clone //e with both a 6502 and a 65C02 installed (but not enhanced ROMs yet), on a Dane-Elec 8 gig USB drive, it seems to "forget" about the drive being formatted, the SmartPort device unmounts, and then an OA-Ctrl-Reset and dropping into the control panel gives the "must format" message.

I haven't tried extensively with CompactFlash, or looked at the USB log yet.

Edit: Log shows that the AVR is resetting due to a power brownout. Hmm...
bhtooefr

Postby dlyons » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 am

When the log mentions BrownOut, is it alone or along with PowerOn?

At the top of the Debug log, it's normal to see "AVR Reset (0x05 = PowerOn BrownOut)" -- the AVR sees a "brownout" briefly as the power comes on during power-on.

If you see "AVR Reset (0x04 = BrownOut)" then something out of the ordinary is happening with the power. (I'll be a bit surprised if that's happening, because the brown-out-detect level is set so as not to be very sensitive.)
dlyons

Postby bhtooefr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:33 am

Ah, OK, that's not it - it was the PowerOn BrownOut.

(And, I was monitoring voltages while testing some stuff, 4.99 V occasionally dipping to 4.98 V. Close enough.)

I did get verbose logs, don't have them with me, though. It looks like writing right now is EXTREMELY flaky to USB - it may succeed a couple times, then fails.

CF seems to work perfectly for writing, and both the CF and USB devices are FAT32, and would be similarly fragmented, so it's not a fragmentation or filesystem problem.
bhtooefr

Postby bhtooefr » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:57 pm

http://bhtooefr.ath.cx/files/cffausb.log

Here's a verbose log of a session in which it failed.

Looks like it got one write in, and then failed on two subsequent writes later.
bhtooefr

Return to CFFA3000 Beta Tester Feedback