"Disable SmartPort" has no effect

"Disable SmartPort" has no effect

Postby petern » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:09 pm

I have firmware v3.0b2. My CFFA3000 is in slot 7 with slot 6 assigned to Disk II. I have an enhanced IIe.

1. Assign a bootable disk image to SmartPort.

2. Set "Disable SmartPort" to "Yes".

3. Boot.

4. Observe that the system boots from the SmartPort. I expect slot 7 to not be bootable.

Thanks,
-Peter
petern

Re: "Disable SmartPort" has no effect

Postby whollymindless » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Currently available firmware is 3.0b4.

Let me see if I can duplicate on b4 before you upgrade.

There is a note when disabling smartport that seems pretty specific to non-//gs or enhanced systems. But I am not 100% sure of the appropriate behavior. Like you, I would have expected them to not be available yet it boots into gs/os on b4.

Rob
whollymindless

Postby dlyons » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 pm

The wording of the menu items clearly needs work. The option to "Disable SmartPort" is intended for compatibility with the Apple II, Apple II+, and Apple //e, where for obscure compatibility reasons the machine's ROMs can't auto-boot from a slot that supports "SmartPort," in the sense of "block devices like ProDOS, but without the two-per-slot limitation."

So "Disable SmartPort: YES" means your slot 7 will still support 2 ProDOS devices.

To boot slot 6 while the CFFA3000 is in slot 7, you can remove all the SmartPort Assignments, and it will allow the boot to proceed to the next lower slot.

(On a IIgs, of course, you could set the Startup Slot directly, in Control Panel > Slots.)

Would it be helpful to have a menu setting for "Startup slot:", which would be effective when either of the CFFA-controlled slots is offered a chance to boot via the automatic slot scan?

--Dave, The Firmware Guy
dlyons

Postby petern » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:32 am

Makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. A startup slot option would be useful, but I think it's a very low priority. There are plenty of other ways to boot from a different slot.

-Peter
petern

Return to CFFA3000 Beta Tester Feedback