Issues with booting Test Drive

Issues with booting Test Drive

Postby bhtooefr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Hardware: Clone //e, 65C02, unenhanced clone ROM (10 bytes different from a real //e ROM - jumping around the "Apple" text so that ProDOS works with it, basically, and having different text at the top), Dane-Elec 8 gig USB drive

Image is cracked by "Blue Adept & Mr. Stick".

Works fine in all emulators I've thrown at it (including with an unenhanced ROM on a 65C02), but on this hardware, going past the crack screen, it drops to monitor at C6F1.

Nothing of note in the log.
bhtooefr

Re: Issues with booting Test Drive

Postby dlyons » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:47 am

This sounds like an issue with the software on the disk image doing something out of the ordinary with the Disk II's C6xx ROM. CFFA3000 does not have an image of the "real" Disk II controller card ROM, but it's meant to work enough like the real ROM that software won't notice the difference (there are very few standard entry points).

In this case, I'm 90% sure (without having the software in question) that I can accommodate what it's doing: apparently jumping to C6EF to read another sector if needed (and jump to $801 if enough sectors have been read). It's not one of the standard entry points.

I'm assuming your unenhanced //e ROM reports a BRK into the monitor in the same way as an Apple II+: by showing an address 2 bytes later than the $00 (BRK) instruction.

Just to make sure, please try 'C6EFG' and make sure it breaks into the monitor at C6F1.
dlyons

Postby bhtooefr » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:19 pm

I actually enhanced my //e before testing it (so now I'm running a 100% authentic Enhanced //e ROM), but the behavior was the same, and C6EFG did break at C6F1.
bhtooefr

Postby bhtooefr » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Oh, and here's the disk image that I'm using, for testing purposes: http://bhtooefr.ath.cx/files/TestDrive1.dsk
bhtooefr

Postby bhtooefr » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Hadn't tried b14, but it does boot on b17. Needs the multiple disk functionality to be present to see if it fully works, though.
bhtooefr

Return to CFFA3000 Beta Tester Feedback