Feedback on 3.0 Beta 14

Feedback on 3.0 Beta 14

Postby whollymindless » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:22 pm

I can report that the behavior is different. I am not getting dumped to the "Must be MBR and FAT formatted" message during image file selection.

Testing Sandisk 2G U3 (with U3 removed): Always reports "Unable to read". I thought it might have been the 2' usb extension I have been using but removing it made no difference. Log attached.

Testing Win Tech 8G: Now always mounts and doesn't seem to get confused during image selection (that is when I would be dumped to the MBR/FAT message previously) But I was unable to write the (previous) log to this USB device. As I have no troubles running from image files on CF, I figured I'd document the issues I am seeing when trying to boot GS/OS from the USB. Unfortunately it fails unreliably (meaning, different each time) but it always fails - either as the drivers are loaded or just after they all complete. My initial theory was a write to the USB but since it doesn't seem to fail in the same place with the same error message, I don't believe that anymore. I did however grab what was left in the log for posting here to see if it gives any help.

My testing of 6 USB drives 2g-8g in size, various manufacturers both known and unknown seems to show that I only get "Unable to Read" or a device that looks like it will work but doesn't seem to be able to write to the USB.

A2FS1 booted and ran as a dos disk, but couldn't remember how to tell it to try to write to the disk.
Wizardry 1 boots, but crashes when leaving the intro - I'm not sure if it's CFFA or GS and Wizardry although the image does run fine in a GS emulator. My 5.25" drive is packed away at the moment.

If there is something else you'd like me to try, please let me know.

Rob
Attachments
CFFA - Win Tech 8g - Attempt to boot GSOS.zip
(5.57 KiB) Downloaded 1377 times
CFFA - 2g Sandisk U3 - Unable to Read.zip
(998 Bytes) Downloaded 1339 times
whollymindless

Re: Feedback on 3.0 Beta 14

Postby petern » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Here are my results:

Generic 1GB USB drive: No change from previous firmware. See my thread titled "Write errors with Disk ][ emulation".

Crucial Gizmo Jr. 2GB USB drive: I haven't tried this drive with previous firmware, but it does not work with Beta 14. The CFFA recognizes the drive and initially reports "ready", but I cannot assign any images to Disk II devices. The Apple II beeps and occasionally the CFFA reports "unable to read". The log file attached suggests USB write errors while creating CFFA.CFG.
Attachments
CFFA.LOG.zip
(875 Bytes) Downloaded 1331 times
petern

Return to CFFA3000 Beta Tester Feedback