Partitioning in GS/OS

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

Postby tolsen64 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:13 pm

I partitioned my drive with 8 Prodos partitions. Then I installed the CompactFlash GSOS driver, put the jumper back in so that only 4 prodos partitions appear. However, when I boot into GSOS, only the 4 partitions appear. I was expecting it to pop up and ask me to format the rest as an HFS partition but got no such window. I checked the device name as the manual suggests to see that the GSOS driver is loaded and working, but it says DEV1 for device name, not the CFFA.xxx that the manual says it should say if the driver is working. Is there any way I can force it to partition the remaining space on the hard drive as an HFS partiton? Is there any way that the CFFA card can return the total drive capacity?
tolsen64

Postby rich » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:24 am

tolsen64,

As long as the jumper is in the "4 drive" position, GS/OS should be able to load the driver. If the jumper is in the "8 drive" position the driver won't load. I don't see an obvious reason why the driver won't load, but could it be corrupted or in the wrong location?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-03-10 11:25 ]</font>
rich

Postby tolsen64 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:25 pm

Or it could be that it sees the drive as "already partitioned" and doesn't bring up the "format HFS partition" window...
tolsen64

Postby rich » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:26 pm

No.... the partitioning that the CFFA card does, is really done by the location of the file system blocks. There is no partition table or information stored anywhere on the drive itself. Indeed, PRODOS has no mechanism for storing partition information. So the CFFA's firmware will just assume 32MB partitions up to 4 or 8 or the max size of the drive. Example: if you had a 48MB drive/CF card, you would get two drives: a 32MB and a 16MB. When you use Dave Lyons' GS/OS driver, it checks to make sure you are using the 4 drive firmware setting, and then makes anything after the first 4 drives (128MB) into up to 2 large 1GB drives, assuming you have a device large enough. Again this is by assumption and not by any partitioning scheme. So if you have a device greater that 128MB and you can see the first 4 drives with names like: ".CFFA.7A.SANDISK_SDCFB-16" under GS/OS then you should also see the larger drives after the first four 32MB drives.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-03-11 23:31 ]</font>
rich

Return to Tech Support Issues