Sherwood Forest

General forum for support issues related to the CFFA3000

Sherwood Forest

Postby polyex » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Anyone get a disk image of Sherwood Forest to work with the CFFA 3000, could not get The Quest working either.
polyex

Re: Sherwood Forest

Postby david__schmidt » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:59 pm

The disk images on Asimov are horked - I can get you a better one (clip off the bottom and top few bytes of the sherwood_forest.bin one). PM me with your email address and I can send it along. (Does Rich's board have a PM function?)
david__schmidt

Postby polyex » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:48 pm

I don't see how to PM here. Found some other images, same thing happens, just vertical lines at the startup of Sherwood Forest. What bothered me was that they all work when Sherwood Forest is burned to a disk and booted up from a warm or cold start. I did manage to get the image to work with the CFFA, but only if I boot directly to the CFFA floppy emulation from a cold start. Seems like something is wrong though if the image works as a real floppy in ALL cases but only in a cold boot with the CFFA.
polyex

Postby polyex » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 am

I have noticed a few others that work when on an actual floppy but do not work when run in floppy emulation on the Cffa 3000...

Might and Magic, Masquerade, Police Quest, Black Cauldron.

Could I have a bad card?
polyex

Postby david__schmidt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:18 am

I don't think so - mine behave the same way. It's got to be the interaction of the disk emulation and the way the disk is trying to manipulate the controller. It'll be good to get these in front of Dave the Firmware Guy.
david__schmidt

Postby polyex » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:55 am

I wanted to add that Witness from Infocom does not work either (the image on asimov), drops to the monitor. The image boots on the Virtual II emulator.
polyex

Postby polyex » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:24 am

Has there been any progress on this, I am finding a lot of software is not compatible in addition to the ones I already mentioned. If not, are there any plans to open source the firmware?
polyex

Postby david__schmidt » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Not that I know of to both of your questions - do you want to start a list of known-not-working images? Maybe there are some patterns to what works and what doesn't.

I don't remember if we've talked about this before or not... do you have "Patch DOS RWTS for speed" set off when you're trying these? It's on by default, and can cause trouble with non-standard RWTS disks.
david__schmidt

Postby polyex » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Ok, I will try that and let you know.
polyex

Postby peterferrie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:17 pm

polyex wrote:Anyone get a disk image of Sherwood Forest to work with the CFFA 3000, could not get The Quest working either.

The Quest image is broken.
The game uses the volume number as a latent copy-protection mechanism.
This information is not present in a .dsk image, so the image is not usable in any emulated environment.
Must use a different image.
peterferrie

Postby peterferrie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:18 pm

polyex wrote:I have noticed a few others that work when on an actual floppy but do not work when run in floppy emulation on the Cffa 3000...

Might and Magic, Masquerade, Police Quest, Black Cauldron.

Could I have a bad card?

"Black Cauldron - Disk 1 - Front.dsk" image is broken.
The game uses the volume number to identify which disk is in the drive.
This information is not present in a .dsk image, so the image is not usable in any emulated environment.
The .nib version works correctly.
peterferrie

Postby peterferrie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:20 pm

polyex wrote:I wanted to add that Witness from Infocom does not work either (the image on asimov), drops to the monitor. The image boots on the Virtual II emulator.

The image is broken.
Assumes slot 6 is the boot PROM. Must use a different image.
peterferrie

Return to CFFA3000 Support