Upgrading from 3.0.2

General forum for support issues related to the CFFA3000

Upgrading from 3.0.2

Postby akochera » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Trying to flash up from 3.0.2 with no success. I've tried 3.0.3 and 3.1 roms.

Here are the steps I am using:

http://youtu.be/E5qgC3XVp9U

If I understand it, the card should automatically prompt me to update.

I have also tried the dip switch 8 method, and get a 2-6 error. According to the manual, this is a missing CFFA.bin. But I can see it is there on another computer.

Any thoughts?
akochera

Re: Upgrading from 3.0.2

Postby david__schmidt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:29 am

Your procedure looks good. My first question - does the CFFA3000 find disk image files on the CF card? Does it show you files that are available to mount in the virtual Disk II or SmartPort when they are coming from the CF? That would rule out any formatting issues. Clearly the CF itself is recognized, as indicated by the "Ready" message next to the CF in the menu.
david__schmidt

Postby akochera » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 am

Well, that was a good suggestion. I copied an image I knew to be good from the usb device to the Compact Flash, and it was not recognized. Same when I copied from the PC over to the Compact Flash. Oddly, when I copied the file from the Compact Flash *back* to the PC, the file was good and I was able to run it under AppleWin. So it must be the Compact Flash root or something.

As an aside, I removed the other cards from the Apple but this had no effect.

May have to buy another Compact Flash somewhere.
akochera

Postby akochera » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 am

Ahh, now I notice something. I reformatted the CF as a FAT 16, and instead of ignoring the volume label as I normally do, gave it the unique name "Andy Flash". Both the PC and the Mac recognize this volume name. But the Apple sees it as "NO OAOE%". I took a flashlight and my reading glasses -- the pins all look fine on the card.

Anyway, I will look around for another CF and see if it makes a difference.
akochera

Postby david__schmidt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:54 pm

FAT16 and a MBR (Master Boot Record) should be all it needs to be recognized. Even if the volume name looks wonky, can you try the image test again and see if the CFFA3000 recognizes anything on it?
david__schmidt

Postby akochera » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Problem was the CF card. I got a new one from the store, which had been pre-formatted FAT 32 w/ MBR, and all went smoothly.
akochera

Postby david__schmidt » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:41 am

Hmm. Interesting. It should be possible to successfully format your old card, though - it's a little trickier with a Mac, but it should be possible.
david__schmidt

Postby cummings » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Having the same problem. I have been able to copy the individual upgrade files from the folder onto the CF card; can't seem to get the card to automatically upload the .po file and update the file on the board? CFFA 3000 card is in slot 7 of a ROM 03 machine. Also, having trouble copying the entire disk image directly to the CF card through Cider Press.
cummings

Postby david__schmidt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 pm

It seems there is a rash of these problems going on lately (just got an email about a similar one). Have you been able to successfully use this particular CF card in the CFFA3000 before?
david__schmidt

Postby cummings » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 pm

I have used this card to load files through Cider Press before, it is a Nikon 128mb CF card that came from Rich with some files from an earlier CF Adapter 3 or 4 years ago, I think. The CFFA 3000 does show disk images and files assigned to the Smartport. It also recognizes files on the USB stick that I have down loaded through Cider Press. Further, I am using the Nikon card as a HD since I have it running System 6.0.1 in slot 7 w/o any problems. I have ordered a fresh 128mb SanDisk Card and will format it through the CFFA 3000 FAT 32 w/MBR?
cummings

Postby cummings » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Fresh new 128mb SanDisk CF card, formatted through the CF3000 and the IIgs Sys 6.0.1. Card reads and created 4-32mb partitions; it does show individual files copied onto a partition through CiderPress, but no luck with the card auto-loading the new firm ware onto the card when I put it into the CF slot while the card is operating in slot 7. I must be missing a few steps here, any thoughts?

Also, has any found a cable extension for the CF slot that will allow us to plug-unplug CF cards from the computer (while shut down) w/o having to crack open the case every time (okay, I'm lazy and stupid)
cummings

Postby david__schmidt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:56 am

Hmmm, I think you want to go about this a little differently. With hard partitions, you can't have the CF card host the upgrade files. With a brand new card, this is Rich's advice for initial CF drive setup:

Here is how i start over with a CF card that has no MBR:
Open cmd window
type: diskpart

DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk (id) (don't get this step wrong or you will wipe out something important)
DISKPART> online disk (if the disk is not online)
DISKPART> attributes disk clear readonly
DISKPART> clean
DISKPART> convert mbr (this might give an error, don't worry)
DISKPART> create partition primary
DISKPART> select part 1
DISKPART> active (if this is the boot partition)
DISKPART> format fs=fat label=(name) quick
DISKPART> assign letter (letter) (this is not necessary until you want to access it on the PC right away)
DISKPART> list volume

Once you've done that, use CiderPress to create three 32MB disk images, and save _those_ to the CF card. (With only 128-ish MB, you don't have room for four. 3x32 + 1x16, maybe.) You can also save the upgrade files to the root of that CF card. Then you'll be able to upgrade without any trouble.
david__schmidt

Postby cummings » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 am

Followed Rich's instructions to format the card, loaded the disk image onto the card, no luck getting the CFFA 3000 to recognize the upgrade files or the disk image(s).
cummings

Postby rich » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:03 pm

I created another forum post to describe the MBR recovery processes in a little more detail and fix some mistakes.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=539

Please use those instructions.

-Rich
rich

Return to CFFA3000 Support