No joy on IIGS

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

No joy on IIGS

Postby KarlP » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:03 pm

HI guys
I received my CFFA about a week ago.
I have not been able to get it to work at all.

I have a ROM01 GS with a Transwarp.
The CFFA is not recognised at all by the GS.
i.e. I have no option to format drives anywhere - there are no drives present.

When CF cards are used the green light doesn't glow ever.
When I installed a 1.6GB IDE HD the green light comes on when the computer turns on then turns off.
I have tried all slots, CIIPlus 9.1 the CFFA GS driver and anything else I could think of - all with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm desperate to get the card functioning with either CF or IDE

Cheers
KarlP
Last edited by KarlP on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
KarlP

Postby rich » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:12 am

Hi Karl,

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this forum is not getting a lot of traffic anymore. I don't have any specific suggestions, but I would start (if you haven't already) by stripping out everything that can be removed from your GS, to see if you can get the CFFA card to work with a minimalist setup. If there is any joy there, you can start adding pieces back one at a time.

Also can you tell me what brand device you are using in the CFFA?

Rich

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-06-12 01:14 ]</font>
rich

Postby ppuskari » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:43 pm

If it may help at all, hop on Ebay and get a Rom 3 GS...

I have tried my 2 CFFA cards now in a total of 9 Rom 01 GS's of every different motherboard revision, and it so far only works correctly in TWO of them and those are the kind that have the SOLDERED VGC chip AND NO internal keyboard connector in place....

Even with that mother board, it ONLY worked with the Transwarp 1.8s in place and the CFFA in Slot 2.. I have NO idea why but that is what I have come up with so far.

HOWEVER, in a Rom 03 motherboard, I have tried 5 of them and so far if you have either NO labels on your roms, or if the Labels are NOT neatly typset ones, then it has worked PERFECTLY in every slot of the 2 I have that have the earlier printedhand labeled rom 03 labels on them...

Not sure about anyone else, but that is what is working for me so far, and it applied to BOTH my CFFA cards so it just isn't a fluke it would seem.

Good luck! When it works, it works great!

The one machine I decided to put it in permanently is a:

Rom 03
Pacemark Ram card 4 meg - 70ns simms
Slot 2 - CFFA Card
Slot 3 - Transwarp GS 1.8s 32k at 13.75 mhz - at 15mhz Appletalk quits working..
Slot 4 - Future Sound GS Stereo Output/Digitizer Card
Slot 7 - Ramfast Rev D Scsi Card 256K

Once I found a solid machine all was well for the CFFA.
ppuskari

Postby KarlP » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:59 pm

Just thought I'd update those interested.

I obtained another ROM01 GS (loaned from a mate).
I noticed that the internal keyboard connector was absent. (After reading your post ppuskari)

The CFFA worked straight away in slot 7 with the same CF card I tried in the original GS. I formatted the drive, a 32Mb Canon CF card, and am currently installing an operating system.
The Canon CF card does have a "copyright Sandisk" on the back of it, although I don't know what this means exactly.

I have taken photo's of the two GS's to compare the different motherboards. I also photographed the CF front and back for rich's compatibility list. I would have attached the pics to this post but can't. If anyone's interested let me know I'll simply email them.

I will provide further details after I do a bit of testing.

PS. ppuskari thanks for your input it has been most helpful.

Cheers
KarlP
KarlP

Postby rich » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:16 pm

Please email the info you have, to rich@dwave.net

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-06-20 14:16 ]</font>
rich

Return to Tech Support Issues