Help to mount the CFFA

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

Postby emersonwsm » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:43 pm

Hi Rich,

I'm try to mount the CFFA board and the first question is: Can I use the Altera chip EPM7064SLC44-10 (without "F" suffix) instead of EPM7064SLC44-10F?

An additional question: What the difference between this ones?

Tanks and best regards.
emersonwsm

Postby rich » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:23 am

Hi emersonwsm:

Yes. That chip should work just fine. It has double the number of macro cells and I believe the same pin-out as the 7032.

The F in the part I used is not required. It specifies a "Fixed" programming algorithm. I am not sure why I even spec'ed the F part. Probably because they were cheaper at Arrow.com

Here is a brief description of the F option from the Altera m7000.pdf documentation file:

In-system programming can be accomplished with either an adaptive or constant algorithm. An adaptive algorithm reads information from the unit and adapts subsequent programming steps to achieve the fastest possible programming time for that unit. Because some in-circuit testers
cannot support an adaptive algorithm, Altera offers devices tested with a constant algorithm. Devices tested to the constant algorithm are marked with an ?F? suffix in the ordering code.

Hope this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-12-15 01:24 ]</font>
rich

Postby emersonwsm » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:32 pm

Congratulations for the new web design and for the sales of the 200 boards!

In my country (Brazil), too many Apple II/II+ clones had been manufactured in 80's and many collectors possess these models.

I'm interested in trying to convert firmware of the CFFA to the 6502 processor. Are you can to supply the archives with the 65C02 source code of the firmware?

Thanks and best regards.
emersonwsm

Postby h.katz » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:16 am

Look in the download area--I believe that Rich has all the logic files available from there.

(I'm still having fun showing all my friends that my //e has a "solid-state hard drive" in it!)

Later.......Howard
h.katz

Postby rich » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:56 am

Hi,

Howard is right, you can download the current firmware files from here: https://dreher.net/projects/CFforAppleII ... re1.20.zip

There is nothing really that keeps the firmware from being converted to the 6502. The problem is, in the many parts of the firmware it is very handy to maintain the following values in X & Y registers:
X = slot number in form $n0 where n = slot 1 to 7
Y = $0n (n = slot#) for accessing scratchpad RAM
This is no problem in the 6502, but when you want to save these values, you have to move them into the Acc before you can push them in the 6502. Idealy the only RAM used by the firmware is the slot specific scratch pad RAM accessed via the Y register. But when the SmartPort code was developed more working RAM space was needed, so the solution was to save some Zero page locations on the stack and use them temporarly and then restore those zero page location before exiting the firmware. Using zero page locations may ease the burden of not having 65C02 instructions like PHY and PHX, but be careful to always restore any location you use, or you will certainly interfere with the operation of some other program. There are NO safe zero page location for firmware to use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-12-24 09:12 ]</font>
rich

Return to Tech Support Issues