Apple IIe Users...

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

Postby rich » Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:45 am

If you are having problems with your CFFA Interface card in your Apple IIe, feel free to post here, or create a new topic.
rich

Postby tandrews » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:55 pm

I was delighted to see your website and that people are still enthusiastic about the Apple II. I recently bought a couple of apples on ebay and have been looking at all the programs and other files I wrote 20 years ago, which I though I might have lost for ever.

I have read all the comments on the site and was wondering how much work it would be to get either an apple IIe (unenhanced) or a Apple II plus to work with your card. You say people are looking at this by swapping the 6502 to a 65C02.

My question firstly is can I just swap the cpu to a 65C02 and will either of these two apples run, with out changing other ROMS. (ie Video ROM and two others). Secondly how do I make my apple IIe enhanced with EPROMS/ I have scoured the internet for details of this. ie hex dumps and what EPROMS or EEPROMS would work but can find nothing that is that helpful.
tandrews

Postby h.katz » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:32 pm

Check your local thrift stores--you can sometimes find Apple II's there. Also check out eBay--there's several //e's with at least 128k memory for around $10 plus s/h. Keep in mind that a IIGS will also work as a "large" //e, and might be easier to find, and it'll work well with the CFFA card either under ProDOS or GS/OS.

Later..........Howard
h.katz

Postby rich » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:45 pm

My question firstly is can I just swap the cpu to a 65C02 and will either of these two apples run, with out changing other ROMS. (ie Video ROM and two others). Secondly how do I make my apple IIe enhanced with EPROMS/ I have scoured the internet for details of this. ie hex dumps and what EPROMS or EEPROMS would work but can find nothing that is that helpful.

In theory, yes, you could just find a GTE 65SC02 and pop it in. I have had some sucess at that, although not lately. Tried it today and could not get my CFFA to work. Anyway, the real problem is that you end up with a machine that has 64K and can't run the most recent version of ProDOS 2.0.3, and can only run a few proDOS apps. Because most require 128K minimum. So as Howard pointed out, find a newer apple on Ebay. I found my //e Platinum for US$35 with Color monitor.
rich

Postby dw » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:04 pm

I have read all the comments on the site and was wondering how much work it would be to get either an apple IIe (unenhanced) or a Apple II plus to work with your card. You say people are looking at this by swapping the 6502 to a 65C02.

Apple IIe - easy just swap in a 65C02 to replace 6502.
Apple II+ - CFFA needs new CPLD & Firmware.
Secondly how do I make my apple IIe enhanced with EPROMS/ I have scoured the internet for details of this. ie hex dumps and what EPROMS or EEPROMS would work but can find nothing that is that helpful.

Self enhancement of a IIe requires 4 chips:
1x 65c02
2x 2764 (CD and EF ROMs)
1x 2732 (NTSC motherboard) or 1x 2764 (PAL motherboard) CharGen ROM [adds mousetext]

Provided you can program the EPROMs yourself this is an easy upgrade. I have seen the ROM contents on a number of websites.
dw

Return to Tech Support Issues