Missing volume in Apple ][+

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

Postby luddite » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:47 pm

Just got my CFFA today (merry Xmas to me!)... having some trouble getting it to play nice with my ][+.
I've set the jumper to 011 as per the manual and have formatted a SanDisk 64MB CF using Apple Utilities 3.1 on my platinum IIe. On the IIe everything works as expected (in slots 5 and 7) and the CFFA can be booted. However...
I tried installing the card in my 64K ][+ and I'm not having much luck. In slot 7 it dumps into the monitor immediately, even with no files on the CF. In slot 5, I can boot from the Disk ][ in slot 6 but can access only the second volume on the CF (S5,D2) with ProDOS utilities 1.0. Put the thing back in the IIe and it works just fine.
Any ideas? Might I be better off with a smaller CF for the ][+ and just use one volume???
luddite

Postby rich » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:12 am

Hi Luddite,

I also have a problem getting the CFFA to work in some slots of my Apple ][+. In my case I can't use slot 7 at all. It just never works right. But all the other slots work fine. I don't have any magic answer for you, so if you could try removing all of your other cards just to test and see what you find. It may not be any one card, but just a collection of cards, that are chaning the bus timing enough to mess up the CFFA.

Also what version of ProDOS are you using when you use the CFFA in the ][+. I recommend version 1.9 assuming you have a full 64k.

If you have time please try various different slots, again mainly as a test to see what happens. I think your testing in the //e show that the card is working. Please let me know what you find.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2004-12-24 00:14 ]</font>
rich

Postby luddite » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:46 pm

Thanks Rich, I'll give that a shot after Xmas, though it's starting to look like the problem might be with the ][+ rather than the CFFA...
luddite

Return to Tech Support Issues