Project discussion forum opens...

This forum is for the discussion of the CFFA for Apple II project.

Moderator: rich

Postby ncbill » Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:20 am

Will high-speed Compact Flash make a difference?

I see 256MB, 12x-rated CF cards for as low as $100 after rebate.

Were I just using it with a USB reader I wouldn't think it would matter, but using it on your IDE interface I wonder (if it would make a difference on the Apple //e at 1Mhz or //gs at 2.8Mhz)
ncbill

Postby rich » Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:10 pm

Bill,

I can't say for sure, but my initial guess,
is that a faster card would not result in any speed improvement, at least not at bus speeds of 1 or 2.8 Mhz. The CompactFlash cards are already faster than that, and without DMA support, I doubt my card could utilize the faster CF cards.
rich

Postby vossile » Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:24 pm

Hey Rich,

just wanted to remind you that I'm still looking forward to getting one of those cards :wink:
Are the other 75 boards in working order or did the manufacturer give you a hard time?

Ole.
vossile

Postby rich » Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:32 am

Ole,

The other boards are ok. Although I am a little disappointed with the silkscreen quality, but that is just cosmetic.
rich

Postby JoeJ » Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:08 pm

This is a very interesting project. It is only missing one thing...DMA
So I am looking at adding that to the unit. It doesn't look too difficult.

It is possibly missing another feature.
I would like to add intelligence to the card to translate a FAT filesystems and disk image files into "partitions" as far as the Apple is concerned. Then I could put the flash card into my internet computer and copy disk images from the emulation sites onto the CF. The card would then translate the diskimage into a partition and allow the GS to run it. This would be substantially more complex but not impossible. (Compaq sells a similar device to allow PC's to boot from a network. The PC doesn't know there is no floppy present)

One last note. The PLD is 90% of the interface for any ISA type PC peripheral.
JoeJ

Postby slinberg » Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:46 am

This sounds like an amazingly cool project with its heart in the right place.

This is just a vote/plea to please consider:

1) Doing as much as possible to support the original 6502, and
2) Doing as much as possible to support DOS 3.3.

I know neither of these are priorities right at the moment, but I have very plain-jane systems and would love to archive my shoeboxes full of floppies. Most of them are DOS.

Kudos for keeping the Apple // love going - best machine ever built. Very saddened to hear of Glen Bredon's death, too - he was a titan. We're getting old, aren't we? :sad:
slinberg

Postby rich » Wed May 01, 2002 12:52 am

I actually have the same sentiments as you.
I would love to have a DOS 3.3 supported CFFA card, and would love some DOS hacker to implement just that, if possible.

But maybe the next best thing... to a true DOS 3.3 firmware hack, is Glen Bredon's DOS Master software package. It lets most well behaved DOS 3.3 programs to exist on a hidden portion of a ProDOS volume. I am using it on a 2.5" hard drive mounted on a CFFA card, and it seems to work very well with RobotWar (cracked version?) because it runs under DOS MASTER stored on a ProDOS volume!
Very cool!
I have not tested DOS MASTER with much else, but I understand it will handle most well behaved DOS 3.3 programs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2002-05-01 01:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2002-05-01 01:59 ]</font>
rich

Postby ncbill » Fri May 10, 2002 6:32 pm

Manuals -

Why not just distribute a manual in PDF format (or just make it available on the webpage) if you are having that much trouble getting paper manuals affordably printed?
ncbill

Postby rich » Fri May 10, 2002 11:46 pm

On 2002-05-10 19:32, ncbill wrote:
Manuals -

Why not just distribute a manual in PDF format (or just make it available on the webpage) if you are having that much trouble getting paper manuals affordably printed?

Hey Bill,
Good Question... I will have a PDF version of the manual available on my site. I guess the main reason I am printing a manual is because I trying to do this project (and the manual)
in the same tradition the Apple II itself was done. i.e. An actual real manual, with detailed technical information, like firmware listings, a schematic, etc. Everything will be printed by Monday and I will send it to the printing company for cutting and binding.
rich

Postby sbeattie » Thu May 16, 2002 10:47 pm

I have not noticed any mention of whether this should work OK in a Laser 128EX/2. I would assume so....Any thoughts?
sbeattie

Postby slidertx72 » Sat May 18, 2002 7:36 pm

Congrads on first batch. Holding my breath for mine.
slidertx72

Postby jimm » Mon May 27, 2002 8:33 pm

Rich,

Overall I really like all the information you've got on your web site, especially about the design phase. However I was wondering if you could put up a little more information on the production aspects of the card, such as laying out the final PCB design, getting the boards produced and silkscreened, and how your assembly process goes. Just curious :smile:

-Jim (thinking about getting a second card already...)
jimm

Postby rich » Mon May 27, 2002 9:50 pm

Jim,

I hope to get some info about production up on my web site. But because I have been so busy, I am not sure when I will have time to so.
About a second board... you may want to be sure that your first board works in your particular Apple II environment first.

Rich

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2002-05-27 22:52 ]</font>
rich

Postby roninhyde » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:32 pm

The card looks absolutely amazing from the web page and I hope to tag one soon. Was curious if you had thought of having one internal CF and perhaps one external. The reason I mention this is my attempt at getting one IIgs machine as a pure archival system. One each of the floppies for reading the original media and a CF to put it on for transfer to the Mac for CD burns. Having one internal CF for booting and holding transfer programs while the other works as mobile storage. Any chance this might be considered? Really hate looking for small drives and a 20 gig just seems comical on the II.
roninhyde

Previous

Return to General Discussion