CFFA and CP/M?

This forum is for the discussion of the CFFA for Apple II project.

Moderator: rich

CFFA and CP/M?

Postby gordtulloch » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:19 pm

Anyone using their CFFA card for Softcard CP/M-80? I presume the BIOS would need to be modified, haven't tried yet. Anyone done this? Thanks )

Regards,
Gord
gordtulloch

CFFA and CP/M

Postby david__schmidt » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:55 pm

Since the CFFA is beholden to ProDOS, it doesn't seem likely that it'll work natively with a CP/M card. But I wonder... what about the utility to stuff a bunch of DOS 3.3 images on it? I can't remember its name now, but maybe if the sector ordering is compatible (or irrelevant) it would work. Just a shot in the dark...

Edit: the program I was thinking of is DOS Master.
See: https://dreher.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=100
david__schmidt

Any interest in an Applicard CP/M driver?

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:04 am

I used to develop drivers for the Applicard CP/M board back in the mid 80s (used to work at a company that re-branded the cards). My CFFA is on order, and my primary interest is to use it for CP/M. I still have all my driver develop kit tools and all the source for the older drivers.

Is anyone interested? Is anyone else doing the same thing?

Bob
Bob

Re: Any interest in an Applicard CP/M driver?

Postby david__schmidt » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:32 am

[quote="Bob"]Is anyone interested?[/quote]

I have a Z80 card, but it's a no-name Asian clone. Do you think the support could be made tolerant of off-brand cards?
david__schmidt

Postby gordtulloch » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:50 am

[quote="david__schmidt"][quote="Bob"]Is anyone interested?[/quote]

I have a Z80 card, but it's a no-name Asian clone. Do you think the support could be made tolerant of off-brand cards?[/quote]

I imagine most of these cards are Softcard clones, I have one too.

As for info on Apple CP/M, I found the following that would be helpful:

http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/apple2/Apple.CPM.ref.txt

I'm pretty short on time at home these days with two demanding little kids but perhaps I can bring a CF card to work plug it in and try getting CP/M running in emulation before I try it on the real hardware. Looks like modifying cpm56.com is the way you alter the OS in Apple CP/M...

Regards,
Gord
gordtulloch

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:51 pm

[quote="david__schmidt"][quote="Bob"]Is anyone interested?[/quote]

I have a Z80 card, but it's a no-name Asian clone. Do you think the support could be made tolerant of off-brand cards?[/quote]

Probably not. The Applicard was very unique in that it was a complete Z-80 computer with its own 64K of RAM on board, and communicated with the 6502 via a couple parallel ports. The 6502 was an I/O processor. The CP/M drivers were actually run on the 6502 side. It was a different design than the other CP/M cards that shared the 6502's memory.

BTW, it was rebranded under several different names. Franklin sold them as ACE-80 cards. They sometimes show up on eBay for a few dollars.
Bob

Postby a2retro » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:35 am

[quote="Bob"]I used to develop drivers for the Applicard CP/M board back in the mid 80s (used to work at a company that re-branded the cards). My CFFA is on order, and my primary interest is to use it for CP/M. I still have all my driver develop kit tools and all the source for the older drivers.

Is anyone interested? Is anyone else doing the same thing?

Bob[/quote]

Hi Bob, that is cool to know. Back in the late 80's I reverse engineered the DOS 3.3 RAM disk driver for the Applicard (both the 6502 and the Z80 sides) and wrote a memory resident version for ProDOS. I have the disassembly listings and source code if your interested.

I did not do any Z80 driver programming but with the ROM source available to the CFFA it should not be that difficult.

I am not sure if I have the cycles to help you but I would be interested in keeping track of your progress and the results for sure.

Glenn

www.a2retrosystems.com
a2retro

CP/M driver making progress

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:37 pm

I finally sat down and started writing the driver on Thanksgiving morning. The basic structure is set up, so now I'm working on the details of accessing the CFFA.

Bob
Bob

Driver working, but still needs work

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:44 am

I had it running over the weekend, but need to do some more work
getting CP/M's disk parameter blocks right. Some of the documentation
assumed 256 byte sectors, and that seems to be a problem too.

Is anyone out there good with some of this CP/M stuff? It's been a
while and I'm making errors.

Bob
Bob

It's working!

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:20 pm

I have a functional CP/M driver for the CFFA using the Applicard/ACE-80. It's the first pass, so there are lots of improvements that can be made. Basically, it shows up as a single 8 MB drive. It defaults to drive M: but can be located at any drive with the Applicard's driver INSTALL program.

More to do; this isn't production ready yet. I still want to speed it up more, add support for multiple drives, etc.

Bob
Bob

Great news ..

Postby a2retro » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:51 pm

Hey Bob, thanks for the update ... I would be interested in talking to you offline if you want to drop me a line

Glenn Jones
support@a2retrosystems.com
a2retro

Re: It's working!

Postby gordtulloch » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:02 pm

[quote="Bob"]I have a functional CP/M driver for the CFFA using the Applicard/ACE-80.[/quote]

Hi there! How is this going? Any chance you could post the driver (even in an incomplete state) so those of us with a Softcard clone can have a look and perhaps get something going for our cards too? Would be much obliged!

Regards,
Gord
gordtulloch

Re: CFFA and CP/M?

Postby a2retro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:40 am

Message for Bob - HI did you ever finish this driver for the CFFA and the Applicard?
a2retro

Postby gordtulloch » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:20 pm

[quote="a2retro"]Message for Bob - HI did you ever finish this driver for the CFFA and the Applicard?[/quote]

Looks like Bob never came back after 2006, any chance someone has his email address?

Regards,
Gord
gordtulloch

Postby rich » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59 am

last email I had for him was bob@applegate.org
Not sure it is still valid.

-Rich
rich

Postby gordtulloch » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:51 pm

I sent him a note <fingers crossed> I'd get an Applicard if there was a chance to get this working!

Regards,
Gord
gordtulloch

Postby gordtulloch » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Bob sent me the following:

>Hi Gord,
>
>I haven't touched the driver in at least a year, so I forget exactly what state it's in. I've got one other project that really needs to be finished in the
> next two weeks, then I'll set up the Franklin again and see about the driver.
>
>From what I remember, there were problems...
>
>(1) It pretends to be ProDOS. This allowed me to use the CFFA drivers in ROM to do the low-level work. This meant some extra overhead making the >driving look like ProDOS but it got the driver working faster.
>
>(2) It was SLOW! I was playing with caching some of the sectors but forget how far I got with it. I seemed to think it was faster under ProDOS, so there's >probably something wrong in my calls to emulate ProDOS when calling the ROM routines on the card.
>
>(3) There was a hard failure somehwere, but I haven't a clue anymore as to when/how it appeared. Maybe the directory entries screwed up? I just don't >remember anymore.
>
>(4) It might only work in one slot; not sure about that.
>
>Anyway, I was in the process of borrowing code from the CFFA ROM and moving it directly into my driver so as to avoid the ProDOS routines.
>
>By mid-August I'll get back to this and figure out what state it's in.
>
>Bob

I planned on asking him to consider open sourcing the driver so we can get it up on Sourceforge - it takes the pressure off a bit IMHO since if people are really interested they could always carry it forward.

Regards,
Gord
gordtulloch

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:58 am

I've got a presentation to do in a couple weeks, so all my free time is spent working on that. After it's done I'll set up the Franklin ACE-1000 again and see what state the driver is in. I don't see why people can't start playing around with it already, but performance wasn't great and I still think there was at least one bug in in it.

My intention was to provide a way to map the many MB of the CF card into multiple CP/M drives and also allow the mapping to be changed via an API so a CP/M program could change which 8MB chunk of the CF would be mapped to which CP/M drive.

Give me a few weeks to get back to it.

Bob
Bob

Postby ralphw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:41 am

Hello. I happen to have three of the PCPI cards (one original PCPI card and two "ACE 80" cards - unbuilt).

I'm interested in the Applicard driver for the CFFA card.

- Ralph

PS - I'm also interested in acquiring more hardware to be able to build out the other two cards, I wasn't
thinking ahead far enough when I bought the bare boards originally,and an empty PC board is a terrible thing.
ralphw

Postby gordtulloch » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Sent Bob a few emails, no response yet :(

Regards,
Gord
gordtulloch

Next

Return to General Discussion