Prodos CF Card in a MAC

This forum is for the discussion of the CFFA for Apple II project.

Moderator: rich

Postby Andrew_Webber » Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:04 pm

Hi,

I took my 64MB (2 x 32MB Prodos Parts)SANDISK out of my IIGS and put it in my Powermac with a CF Reader. The Mac only sees the first partition, not the second.

Has anyone else tried this and succeeded?

Cheers

Andrew
P.S not sure if this was the right place to post it....
Andrew_Webber

Postby rich » Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:50 am

Andrew,
Not being a IIgs or Mac user, I ask Dave Lyons your question. He replied:

Since we have no partition map, that's exactly what it should do. The Mac is actually seeing the entire CF device as a single large partition, which happens to have a ProDOS volume in the first 32 MB...but if you erase it & make it a Mac disk, you'd be erasing the whole 64 MB.

If someone has a strong desire to do transfers between GS and Mac more than 32 MB at a time, I can think of two ways that would work:

(1) Build a custom version of the COMPACTFLASH GS/OS driver that implements a single partition, and then format that partition as HFS (not ProDOS). -- You won't be able to use this from ProDOS 8, and you won't be
able to boot from it.

(2) Change the "BlockOffset" constant in the CFFA firmware & build a custom version (ditto for the GS/OS driver). By setting the block offset to (say) 32, you could leave room at the beginning of the media for a partition map, then write some sort of utility to lay down a Mac partition map that describes the CFFA "implied" partitioning: up to four
32 MB partitions, followed by one or two up-to-1GB partitions.

--Dave
rich

Return to General Discussion