Booting Disk images

This forum is for the discussion of the CFFA for Apple II project.

Moderator: rich

Booting Disk images

Postby polyex » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 pm

Is something like this (link below) remotely possible with a firmware modification for CFFA? I know booting DOS images is something I often hear discussed in the community in a more compatible way than DOS.MASTER etc.

http://mirrow.com/FPGApple/pseudodisk.html
polyex

Re: Booting Disk images

Postby rich » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:08 pm

No. The CFFA would not be capable of emulating a floppy drive. The magic in the card you pointed to
is its ability to decode floppy drive stepper movement soft switch memory locations and use that information to index
into a nibblized disk image.

I have thought about producing a hybrid CFFA which could do everything the CFFA can do today and add floppy emulation,
but it would be a new project. It is hard to gauge the interest in such an idea.

-Rich
rich

Postby AppleDrew » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:56 am

I think this should most definatley be your next project Rich ;-). Is it theoritcally possible to emulate the 800K FDD of the GS then you can boot of 2mg or SDK disk images?

Drew
AppleDrew

Postby Ivan X » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:53 am

Well, I'm interested, at least.
Ivan X

Postby alelee » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm also interested. This could be a way of much better preserving Apple II software, without the inconvenience of dying floppy media (not to mention the space required and the annoyance of retrieving each program when you want to use it).

- Alex
alelee

Return to General Discussion