My Review of the CFFA at 'What is the Apple IIGS?'

This forum is for the discussion of the CFFA for Apple II project.

Moderator: rich

My Review of the CFFA at 'What is the Apple IIGS?'

Postby alelee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:40 am

Hi all,

just wanted to let everyone know I reviewed the CFFA Card, or more specifically, what my experience has been with it given that I'm not that much of a tech head.

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/cffa-card-review/

If anything, I'm just keen to know whether I've set this baby up as well as it can be done! :-)

- Alex
alelee

Re: My Review of the CFFA at 'What is the Apple IIGS?'

Postby rich » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for writing such a nice overview and review of the CFFA. You cover lots of the
details that can trip CFFA users up. I have posted a link to the review on my main page,
if that is alright with you.

Thanks,
Rich
rich

Re: My Review of the CFFA at 'What is the Apple IIGS?'

Postby alelee » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm very pleased you've included a link to my review and glad you appreciate it!

Some interesting developments have arisen since the blog went out - some people are reporting that some of the 32 meg 2images are corrupt.

I've done some quick tests by downloading the 2images that have been reported not to work, but they still work with Bernie ][ the Rescue running Mac OS X 10.4.11 in Classic. Additionally, I've tried the downloaded images with Sweet 16 for Mac OS X as well - all looks well again.

I haven't tried the images with KEGS v0.91 yet, but something I discovered a couple of months ago was that the 32meg 2images I had created with Bernie were refusing to be used with KEGS. Using the old Mac utility ADFS (http://www.lazilong.com/apple_II/adfs/downloads/) I converted those 2images to Raw .po images. They now work with KEGS, strangely enough.

I'm wondering whether a similar problem has developed here as 'press_DUCK' commented on my review that the 32meg images are the wrong size at 32,769 (kilobytes?) when it should be 32,768.

Mind you, I haven't had any problems transferring the contents of these 32meg 2images using CiderPress myself to a compact flash card.

So perhaps the problem IS the way I'm zipping the 2images, in that it's a problem for some but not everyone. There was a similar problem when the site relaunched with all 2image downloads, but the problem seems to only occur if the zips were downloaded with Internet Explorer (6 or 7). However another comment has specified that the zips aren't the problem at all, and that the 2images extract fine.

Gah! I'll continue to find a solution, but I'm really flat out at the moment with work, study and life in general.
alelee

Return to General Discussion