Dumb Question - what kind of compact flash cards?

This forum is for the discussion of the CFFA for Apple II project.

Moderator: rich

Postby alelee » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:57 am

Hi Rich and everyone,

I couldn't find this basic information here anywhere, but it's probably here somewhere, but what kinds of Compact Flashcards can be used with the CFFA?

I only know that the Kodak digital camera I used with work from 3 years ago used larger flash cards than my current Panasonic DMC-LC40 digital camera, which uses smaller flash cards.

Perhaps the easiest way I know which Flash cards to use are the actual dimensions for the cards themselves. Are there other factors that I need to know about?

If it's cost effective to get the CFFA, a flash card and a method of reading the card on my Powerbook G4 (hopefully with my camera, otherwise a Flash Card reader) I'd get the CFFA.

- Alex
alelee

Postby rich » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:06 am

Hi Alex,

If you check out the compatibility page:
https://dreher.net/CFforAppleII/Compatibility.html
you can find CF card brands that will work.
Basically, it is any CF card that uses the SanDisk controller inside. The trouble is cards usually don't specify what controller they use inside. So your best bet is to use a SanDisk brand.

I can't say if it is cost effective or not.
That based on your personal financial situation. But I can tell you that if you take a CF card from a CFFA and insert it in a MAC, you will probably be able to see the first partition on the CF card, and people have used this as a means to move data between their Apple II and their MAC. But, I can't say if that scheme will work with any pariticular MAC OS. (I am not a MAC user) But others are doing it. The other problems is that the MAC will see the CF card as one paritions instead of multiple 32MB parititions, so if you wite to the CF card, past the first 32MB paritition, you would be writting into the next partition on the CF card and trashing that next partition.

Also, I would guess that you would definately NOT be able to stick a CFFA formatted CF card in your Camera and have it be readable by your MAC (assuming your camera is link to your MAC)
Most cameras look for a Master Boot Record on the first sector of the CF card and when you format the CF card in a CFFA interface card, it blows away the MBR and uses that space for the ProDOS or HFS file system. If you have any more question, feel free to send me an Email at rich@dwave.net

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-09-09 12:12 ]</font>
rich

Return to General Discussion