26 Partitions on an IIGS

This forum is for the discussion of the CFFA for Apple II project.

Moderator: rich

26 Partitions on an IIGS

Postby Char27 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:07 pm

I added a 2nd CF card to my CFFA (r6 board) in my IIGS (so I can have one hanging off a cable in back to allow for quick transfers with ciderpress) and while I read in the manual that the max partitions I can have with a single CFFA board is 13, I am able to see all 26 (13 on each) from GSOS 6.1. It almost fills the screen with HD icons :) When I drop to Prodos, I do not see them all anymore which matches the manual.

Does "single CFFA board" in the manual actual refer to a single CF card?

Thanks,
Rob
Char27

Re: 26 Partitions on an IIGS

Postby DrTom » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:22 am

Hey Rob,

Do you boot directly into ProDos, and if so can you see two CF cards in
ProDos?

I can't. I boot directly into ProDos and I can put a compact Flash card into
EITHER the CFFA Card itself OR into an adapter on the end of a ribbon
hanging out the back of my Apple IIgs, but I can't put CF cards in the CFFA
card AND the adapter and see both CF cards at the same time.

I've got matched CF cards from SanDisk 256mb and two matched CF Cards
that Rich send with my CFFA cards. Even with matched CF cards, I cannot
see both at the same time in the same CFFA rig.

And I need too see both. If you can see two cards, will you send me the EXACT
product numbers or descriptions for your ribbon/cable and your adapter?

Does anyone else have advice for me on this?

By the way, I don't mean to be a complainer. I love, love, love, my CFFA
cards, and I have bought 3, but I've never been able to get one CFFA card
to read two CF cards at the same time.

DrTom
DrTom

Postby DrTom » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm still looking for exact part numbers or descriptions for the ribbon and the adapter
card at the end of the ribbon, so i can get access two CF cards in the same CFFA Card.

I now have three CFFA Cards, two in one Apple IIgs and the third one in another Apple
IIgs, and all three have run flawlessly for many months under heavy load. No issues ...
except I'd like to be able to put two CF Cards in the same CFFA Card: one CF card in
the CFFA Card and a second CF card in the adapter on the end of the ribbon from the
CFFA Card, and then copy files from one CF card to the other CF card.

If you can get this to work, please let me know the details.

DrTom
DrTom

Postby Char27 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi DrTom,

I will look at the parts I have that give me the 26 visible partitions - Might not be for another week or 2 since I currently have my IIGS unplugged (trying to find a better place to keep it set up).

This may be somewhat inaccurate but from what I think I remember....

I see all 26 partitions from within GSOS but I think in ProDOS only 13 showed. I did not expect to see all from what I understood but they were all there.

When in using ProDOS, I can reduce the number of partitions available for the first CF card in the CFFA config screen to see more of the 2nd card.

Try reducing the # of partitions for Dev0 in the config to see if partitions of the 2nd card shows up. Setting the first card for the full 13 will hide the 2nd card. Setting to 10 will show 3 from the 2nd card and so on.

I will get more specifics later. This is all from memory and its been a couple months since I messed with the A2s. I should have them set up soon in a more permanent place so it will be easier to provide info to others (and come up with more things to ask about :)

Let me know if changing the partitions works for you. If you still do not see the 2nd card, I will definitely get you specifics on the HW I am using do you have a place to start (CF cards and the CF/IDE adapter I am using).
I use the same CFFA config on my IIe so I know its a working combo.

Thanks,
Char27

Postby rich » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Tom,

This part worked for me and is the part I did most of the testing with: SD-CF-IDE-A.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6822998002

Keep in mind that the CFFA does NOT supply power on Pin 20, so you will need a to supply
a connection from the +5v terminal on the CFFA to the CF adapter.

-Rich
rich

Postby DrTom » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your post, just above.

That link to NewEgg shows what looks to be exactly the Adapter that I have on the
end of the ribbon coming from my CFFA Card.

With this rig, which is a CFFA Card, plus a ribbon with one connector on each end,
and the adapter at the link that you gave in New Egg, I can access a SanDisk 256mg
CF card in either the CFFA card or in the adapter BUT not in both simultaneously.

Why do I want to do both simultaneously? Because I'd like to back up files from a
CF card in the CFFA to a CF card in the Adapter. Elsewhere you mentioned that I should
use the same brand of CF Cards and both are SanDisk 256mb CF cards that are
identical.

You wrote, "Keep in mind that the CFFA does NOT supply power on Pin 20, so you
will need a to supply a connection from the +5v terminal on the CFFA to the CF
adapter."

Could this be my problem??

The CF Card works in the Adapter on the end of the ribbon with nothing else: just
the CFFA plus the ribbon plus the adapter plus the CF Card. No special wiring to
supply power to the adapter. And no CF card in the CFFA.

If I do put a CF card in the CFFA and a second CF card in the Adapter, do I need
to provide, as you wrote, "a connection from the +5v terminal on the CFFA to the
CF adapter."??

Again I want to emphasize that I'm not complaining. The CFFA is great, but it
would be much better for me if I could copy from one CF card to another CF card.

Cheers,

DrTom
DrTom

Return to General Discussion