filetransfer apple IIe to pc

General Apple II Discussion

filetransfer apple IIe to pc

Postby Alain » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi

I need to the do a filetransfer for several appleworks files to pc. Just a few database files that should become textfiles on pc.

The appple doesn't has a serial card nor do I have the needed software on apple.

Is CFFA a solution?

EDIT : Could my father keep using the apple//e with a ("fast") CF drive, while I make regular backups on pc incl file transfer with the mentioned software?

Or is there some service where I could send some apple //e disks and get the pc files mailed back (I'm from Belgium EU)?

The "other" option is to print the database and rescan it.

BTW. There a 512K card inside tge apple, and the database needs it. But it could be split.

Alain
Alain

Re: filetransfer apple IIe to pc

Postby rich » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:58 pm

Alain,

If you are using the CFFA Interface card as your main storage device on your Apple II, and you want
to transfer the files to your PC, it is very easy. If you are running Windows on your PC, you would
download and run a free program called CiderPress. This Windows program written by Andy McFadden,
will recognize your CF card and allow you to Copy files from the CF card to the PC. You can also use it to
do backup images of the data on your CF card.

But, getting the file to your PC is just the start, I don't know how you get your PC to understand the data
in your database files.

-Rich
rich

Postby Alain » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:37 am

Hi Rich

Thanks for the fast answer.

How difficult is it to set up the CFFA as main storage device (only for appleworks + files= prodos boot + files) ? I've used the apple II myself the last time some 20 years ago, but did programming on it and I've got quite some computer knowledge. Adding the hardware seems the easy part.

That way my father can keep using the apple and I have backups.

Alain
Alain

Postby rich » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 pm

Alain,

Yes, it is very easy. Just copy the files to the CF card using any ProDOS copy utility and you are ready to go!

The CF will boot, and you will not need your Floppy drive any longer.

-Rich
rich

Return to General