CFFA3000 Second prototype in hand

General forum for non-support issues

Moderator: rich

CFFA3000 Second prototype in hand

Postby david__schmidt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:32 am

Rich may have gotten more than he bargained for when he asked me to help test he CFFA3000 - but now I have a rev2 prototype in hand. As he mentioned earlier, the building blocks are all in place - now it's a matter of getting them all to work seamlessly together.

I'm an old hand at the CFFA card, having several in my collection already. But this next board design takes the old CF/IDE idea another couple of steps further. Rather than (or, in addition to...) using these memory chips as fake storage devices in their own right, now you can hold piles and piles of fake storage devices as individual files on their native file systems. It's a little tough to put into words - so I drew up some pictures that might help.

The original CFFA card, and others like it, divides a memory device into one more more native partitions:

cf1.png
cf1.png (46.56 KiB) Viewed 21888 times

Programs like CiderPress have been specially modified to understand these partitions and work with them so that things like backup, etc. can occur. But you no longer have to worry about native partitioning in the CFFA3000 - because files representing the entire hard drive (i.e. 32MB ProDOS-ordered files) can be stored on a memory device and used/mounted. Like this:

cf2.png
cf2.png (46.34 KiB) Viewed 21888 times

And of course it's not just ProDOS any more... with the CF3000's ability to host a virtual Disk ][ adapter, you can "insert" two disk images at once - any OS, any format. I even tried DOS 3.3's BOOT13 program to boot a DOS 3.2-formatted .NIB image:

cf3.png
cf3.png (61.43 KiB) Viewed 21886 times

So the coolest part of this is the new "virtualization" of disk images - an entire hard disk image, OS and all, is just a file on the CF or USB card... backing it up is as easy as plugging it into your modern computer and copying off the file, then re-inserting it into the CFFA3000. Done!
david__schmidt

Re: CFFA3000 Second prototype in hand

Postby flaith » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:33 am

Thanks a lot for that introduction, now i really want to know more about this card :D
flaith

CF and USB and SD and...

Postby david__schmidt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:18 am

The CFFA3000 has one slot for a CF card, and one USB port for a thumb drive:

Some of the interesting tests I've done is to have an extension USB cable running outside the Apple, and then plugging in all manner of storage devices. So, for example, I had a SD memory card plugged into a multi-card reader plugged into the extension cable plugged into the USB slot. It all looks like USB to the CFFA3000. I also plugged a CF card into that same multi-card reader... it no longer looks like a CF card to the CFFA3000, it looks like USB storage. But it works as a normal FAT-formatted memory device that can hold any of the various virtual disk formats.

So it's less interesting to use the hard-coded partitions of the old CFFA, and more interesting to just have arbitrarily-sized virtual images represented as a file on the memory device. Simple to see, simple to back up, simple to exchange among friends.
david__schmidt

Re: CFFA3000 Second prototype in hand

Postby flaith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:49 am

Thanks again for the info David
I'm a proud owner of the last CFFA Card and that new CFFA Card will give us a lot of promises :D
flaith

Return to CFFA3000 General Discussion