Better Disk II emulation, IIgs tests

General forum for non-support issues

Moderator: rich

Better Disk II emulation, IIgs tests

Postby david__schmidt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:29 am

Another weekend, another rev of firmware! The latest batch improved the handling of the emulated drive motor, so it appears on and off at the right times. That improved the way all OSes (well, DOS and ProDOS) handle waiting for the drive to turn off.

With that resolved, I turned my attention to the IIgs and some tricky disk images. Alien Mind, the old IIgs demos, and the FTA Christmas Demo were next in line. Alien Mind requires that the CFFA3000 be in slot 5 (it won't boot from anywhere else) but it's tricky OS handled it fine. Likewise, the old GS demos from Apple booted fine. The original/first GS demo wanted to be in slots 4 or 6 - so that was kind of a pain. Finally, the FTA Christmas Demo had some trouble booting - it crashed on startup. I'll have to see if that's related to the ROM level - it might behave differently/better on a ROM03 vs. the ROM01 I was using.
david__schmidt

Re: Better Disk II emulation, IIgs tests

Postby jamesk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Sounds great! Keep up the good work.
jamesk

Postby david__schmidt » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:59 am

I got back to the demos this weekend due to someone else's prodding. It turns out that the demos that really muck around with the IWM chip have trouble - namely, the FTA demos. I was working on a ROM 03 machine this time, so I know it's not due to the ROM level. So I'll offload the logs and see if it's something that can be easily supported or not. My guess is not, but we'll see.
david__schmidt

Postby petern » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Awesome. I plan on updating the firmware on my KFest card this weekend ... is there anything you'd like tested? Is b8 still the latest firmware for public consumption?
petern

Postby david__schmidt » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:54 pm

petern wrote:Awesome. I plan on updating the firmware on my KFest card this weekend ... is there anything you'd like tested?

Definitely test writes. Anything to do with disk writing. Writing to DSKs, .2MGs, and... hmmm. How about writing to a .NIB inside a .2MG?
petern wrote:Is b8 still the latest firmware for public consumption?

Yep, b8 is the one to use. We're currently iterating on newer LUFA (USB) support, but that's not ready for wider consumption yet. A newer build of that code actually regressed some of our more obscure USB drives, so Dave the Firmware Guy is going straight to the source and getting fixes directly from their development tree. It's looking better as we speak.
david__schmidt

Return to CFFA3000 General Discussion