Introductory Video Posted

General forum for non-support issues

Moderator: rich

Introductory Video Posted

Postby david__schmidt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:06 am

To commemorate Rich's arrival at KFest - I recorded an introductory video of the various features of the CFFA3000. You guys already know all the info in here, but in case you need a CFFA3000 fix - here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q113bbwR5A
david__schmidt

Re: Introductory Video Posted

Postby bobsmith2012 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Nice video, just makes me want one even more.
bobsmith2012

Postby Char27 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:06 pm

david__schmidt wrote:To commemorate Rich's arrival at KFest - I recorded an introductory video of the various features of the CFFA3000. You guys already know all the info in here, but in case you need a CFFA3000 fix - here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q113bbwR5A

Hi David,
off topic but... I wanted to ask how you create such clear videos of the native Apple 2 screen?
I have an EasyCap DC 60 (RCA to USB) that works but the image is no where as clear as the one you seem to get. The pixels tend to be fuzzy since I think the scan rate of the easycap may not be as precisly matched to the output as it should. There are limited tuning options with the EasyCap but none seem to help much. I am wondering if I need some additional grounding between my PC and the A2? I have tried a higher quality cable to see if additional shielding would help - maybe only a little better from the stock A2 cable.

Capture device I have...
http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-DC60-Crea ... B002H3BSCM

Thanks,
Rob
Char27

Postby david__schmidt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:55 am

Char27 wrote:I wanted to ask how you create such clear videos of the native Apple 2 screen?

I set up a tripod and aim my HD movie-capable point-and-shoot camera at the screen (in this case, it's a Samsung SyncMaster 940mw). There's not a lot of ambient light in the room, so it doesn't pick up much of a reflection. I set the exposure to a full screen of text (i.e. 10 PRINT "W";:GOTO 10) and then use that for the shots. It turns out right for all amounts of text, because it then doesn't try to compensate for a mostly-black screen at other times.

Char27 wrote:I have an EasyCap DC 60 (RCA to USB) that works but the image is no where as clear as the one you seem to get. The pixels tend to be fuzzy since I think the scan rate of the easycap may not be as precisly matched to the output as it should. There are limited tuning options with the EasyCap but none seem to help much. I am wondering if I need some additional grounding between my PC and the A2? I have tried a higher quality cable to see if additional shielding would help - maybe only a little better from the stock A2 cable.

That's good to know. I've been meaning to get one of those - I had assumed the quality would be better. But if not, I'll save my money...! I guess the low-tech solution is better in this case.
david__schmidt

Postby Char27 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53 am

david__schmidt wrote:
Char27 wrote:I wanted to ask how you create such clear videos of the native Apple 2 screen?

I set up a tripod and aim my HD movie-capable point-and-shoot camera at the screen (in this case, it's a Samsung SyncMaster 940mw). There's not a lot of ambient light in the room, so it doesn't pick up much of a reflection. I set the exposure to a full screen of text (i.e. 10 PRINT "W";:GOTO 10) and then use that for the shots. It turns out right for all amounts of text, because it then doesn't try to compensate for a mostly-black screen at other times.

Char27 wrote:I have an EasyCap DC 60 (RCA to USB) that works but the image is no where as clear as the one you seem to get. The pixels tend to be fuzzy since I think the scan rate of the easycap may not be as precisly matched to the output as it should. There are limited tuning options with the EasyCap but none seem to help much. I am wondering if I need some additional grounding between my PC and the A2? I have tried a higher quality cable to see if additional shielding would help - maybe only a little better from the stock A2 cable.

That's good to know. I've been meaning to get one of those - I had assumed the quality would be better. But if not, I'll save my money...! I guess the low-tech solution is better in this case.

Thanks for the info! I do not have my A2 at my desk atm but when I do (when I get the CFFA3k), I will post some images and/or a movie of how it looks. Its kind of useable for some stuff but not everything. If you have hires fonts (appleworks, etc), I doubt it would be very readable. Maybe that will help you decide if its worth the $7 or not - cheap but I still wonder if it was worth it ;)
When I first used your ADTPro utility 2-3 years back on my old A2+ (did not have a working monitor then), I used my LED TV and it actually looked ok (maybe the colors were a little off) so it's technically possible to get a decent signal.
I'll experiment some more and only thought of the grounding option when posting the last message. It may actually help since I know that can help with audio noise between two analog devices. Might move the two computers apart too. I can only guess how much electrical noise the A2 puts out compared to modern computers.
Char27

Postby Char27 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:55 pm

I finally took the video and the quality it better this time than when I last tried it.
I have done work to lower electrical noise in my office while working to improve audio capture quality of my guitars. I spent time moving things around, adding a little grounding and moving dimmers other electronics away from the area. I did not think about it at the time but it has positively affected the video capture quality of the DC60.

I posted my first video using it to show the CFFA 3000 in action. Its just a test video and I will eventually add more that include audio and maybe some additional information.
Check it out - I don't think its quite a clear as your viewo but its not bad. Even the color looks good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT7wPiwnxXc

I used Windows Movie Maker (Win7) to capture this as a webcam.

btw: The CFFA 3000 rocks! :)
Char27

Postby david__schmidt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:22 am

Char27 wrote:I finally took the video and the quality it better this time than when I last tried it.

This quality is very good overall - maybe a little darker than ideal, but very readable. And as you said, the color looks great. Is there any kind of adjustment on the board (or software) for brightness?
Char27 wrote:btw: The CFFA 3000 rocks! :)

I'm glad you were in the early group to get yours!
david__schmidt

Postby Char27 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:11 pm

david__schmidt wrote:
Char27 wrote:I finally took the video and the quality it better this time than when I last tried it.

This quality is very good overall - maybe a little darker than ideal, but very readable. And as you said, the color looks great. Is there any kind of adjustment on the board (or software) for brightness?

I may be able to adjust it in the software - its just a simple USB card and I installed only the drivers and no special software. It looks like a webcam to the OS so it may depend on the capture software. I'll see if I can lighten it up without adding noise.
david__schmidt wrote:
Char27 wrote:btw: The CFFA 3000 rocks! :)

I'm glad you were in the early group to get yours!

Me too :)
Char27

Return to CFFA3000 General Discussion