Life in the post-floppy world

General forum for non-support issues

Moderator: rich

Life in the post-floppy world

Postby david__schmidt » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 pm

[note: I posted this message in another forum, one that some of you probably already read. But I had something of an epiphany tonight, and thought I'd share it with you.]

Tonight, I got a taste of what life will be like for me post-floppy.

True story: I finally bought an Echo II card that actually works. Maybe it's just my luck, but I always seem to buy the duds. Today in the mail was one that finally worked. After everyone goes to bed, I bring the Echo II to my evil laboratory of Apples and plug it in. I'm kind of dreading hooking up ADTPro and a floppy drive to build a floppy disk of TextTalker because I just want to see (hear) if the thing works. But wait... there's a CFFA3000 in the IIe. All I have to do is copy the disk image from my .dsk library to the USB stick and stuff it in the CFFA3000. Sure enough... that's all it takes, and synthetic voice sounds finally come out of my external speaker.

Now, I like real floppies as much as the next guy. But for casual use - when I just want to try something out - this setup is going to be hard to beat. The original CFFA can't do it. The MicroDrive can't do it. This thing is where it's at.
david__schmidt

Re: Life in the post-floppy world

Postby DrTom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:35 pm

David, it sounds great.

Thanks for all your work in getting this to work.

I sent in my payment and am trying to wait patiently.

;^ }

Tom
DrTom

Re: Life in the post-floppy world

Postby magnusfalkirk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 pm

David,

I'd seen the original CFFA and been interested in it but this version is what finally made me decide to buy one. My payment for mine went out in the mail yesterday. I'm looking forward to be able to mount Apple II disk images on my GS and use the hard disk image that I'm using in Sweet 16 on the real hardware. Now the only thing I need to make my GS even better is to eventually find an accelerator for it.

Dean
magnusfalkirk

Return to CFFA3000 General Discussion