CFFA 3000 image file format?

General forum for non-support issues

Moderator: rich

CFFA 3000 image file format?

Postby JimDrew » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:18 pm

I am curious if the image file format for the CFFA 3000 is publicly available. I would like to add support for whatever image file format that you are using, and offer support for perhaps a lower level format so that copy-protected disks could be used. I am not sure how low level your device goes. It seems that you should be able to have at least raw GCR.

I have created a new product called SuperCard Pro (see: www.cbmstuff.com) that can duplicate any disk at a flux level, creating either a real disk or a flux image file. I can also decode the data (GCR in the case of Apple ][ disks), and create sector based images. Some people have asked me to look into this, so here I am.

I would purchase a CFFA 3000 but I don't have an Apple ][ computer. Back when I worked at Central Point Software writing Copy ][ 64/128, I also worked on creating the ROMs for the Laser 128, which is what I have. I also worked on the Option Board project before getting into the Amiga copy protection stuff. I would not be opposed to getting ahold of a Apple ][ for testing if its something that I can help support.

So, please let me know some details about the image file format you are using and if you are interested in some sort of co-operation.

Thanks!

Jim Drew, CBMSTUFF.COM
JimDrew

Re: CFFA 3000 image file format?

Postby david__schmidt » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:09 pm

JimDrew wrote:I am curious if the image file format for the CFFA 3000 is publicly available.

Yes, there are a few basic types of file formats that the CFFA3000 reads - and they're all in common use in Apple II circles. They are:
  1. DOS-order, 140K floppy images - typically with a ".dsk" or ".do" suffix, but not always
  2. ProDOS-order, 140K floppy images - typically with a ".po" or ".dsk" suffix, but not always
  3. Nibble images of 140k floppies - typically with a ".nib" suffix
  4. ProDOS-order, arbitrarily sized disk images - typically with a ".po" suffix
There is no obfuscation of any kind in any of these image formats - it's byte-for-byte, track-by-track data that is on the disk. Only nibble images is remotely tricky. These are such fundamental formats in the community, I don't even have a good reference to point you to. The CFFA3000 supports these all automatically.
david__schmidt

Postby JimDrew » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks for the info. I am sure that I can find info about the .dsk formats. I believe those are just decoded sectors. I am interested mostly in the .nib files that offer the ability to use copy protected image files. I will look around for the info. There is a big enough of a following of the CFFA 3000 that I have been contacted by several people to add imaging support for your board.

Jim
JimDrew

Postby JimDrew » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:46 pm

OK, I found out that the .nib format is the exact same format I used for my Apple II emulation for the Amiga, but I called it .raw. The .dsk format is the same as my .appl. So, I have the technical data already for making disk images. What is the waiting period like if I wanted to buy one of the CFFA 3000 units?
JimDrew

Postby david__schmidt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:12 am

You can keep up with Rich's order fulfillment status here:
https://dreher.net/?s=projects/CFforAppl ... Status.php
david__schmidt

Return to CFFA3000 General Discussion