Have two cards. Only one boots slot 6 virtually. Why?

General forum for support issues related to the CFFA3000

Have two cards. Only one boots slot 6 virtually. Why?

Postby jeremym » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 pm

So I have two CFFA 3000 cards.

I'll call them A and B.

If Card A is in my Apple //e, it can boot hard drive images on virtual slot 7 and floppy images on virtual slot 6.

If Card A is in my Apple //GS, it can boot ONLY hard drive images. All tries to boot floppy images give me "Not a startup disk".

If Card B is in my Apple //e -or- //GS, it works exactly as I expect: Booting virtual hard drive files and also virtual floppy files.

So the problem is, Card A (a newer CFFA rev and bios.. sorry, not precisely sure the numbers here) won't boot virtual floppies ever in my Apple //GS.

The temporary workaround is to put Card A in my GS and Card B in my //e.

I would like the cards to be interchangable.

What can I try on Card A, the one that doesnt seem to want to boot virtual floppies?

(Note: When moving the cards around, I do correctly flip Dip 7 for GS / not GS).
jeremym

Re: Have two cards. Only one boots slot 6 virtually. Why?

Postby david__schmidt » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:51 pm

The different firmware levels might be a clue... but that might also be a red herring. It would be good for you to study the configuration of both cards closely and compare.
  1. Do both have the virtual Disk II slot set to the same thing (slot 6)?
  2. Do they both have the same disk image assigned to slot 1?
  3. If there are multiple disk images queued up for slot 1, is the one you expect actually set as the active disk?
  4. If you have a remote, do you see it light up when card A tries to boot a virtual floppy in slot 6?
You might also try swapping all the media (CF and USB ) from B to A and see if it behaves differently. The drive assignments lives on a file on the CF/USB media, so that would eliminate problems from items 2 and 3 above.
david__schmidt

Re: Have two cards. Only one boots slot 6 virtually. Why?

Postby SmokelessJoe » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:58 pm

I am having a similar problem, except I only have one CFFA 3000 and one Apple IIgs.

Last Friday, I could boot hard drive images from a CF card and virtual floppies in slot 6.

The next day, I installed a VidHD, trying it in a couple slots (should have stuck with slot 3) and now my CFFA will ONLY boot the hard drive image. It sees all virtual floppies on my USB drive, but I get the “Not a startup disk” error when I try to boot from one.

Of course I removed the VidHD card, but I can no longer boot from virtual floppies.

Using the AppleWin emulator, I can load the very same virtual floppies off the very same USB drive and they boot fine.
SmokelessJoe

Return to CFFA3000 Support