CFFA3000 Locked Up

General forum for support issues related to the CFFA3000

CFFA3000 Locked Up

Postby digrafid » Mon May 30, 2022 1:51 pm

I have a problem where I told the CFFA3000 to look for an disk image and it can't find it and now I can't get back to the menu.

Background information. I own an Apple II+ with the 16k memory expansion card and two disk drives. My keyboard has a problem so I'm replaced it with an adapter that enables me to use a PS2 keyboard, but because of this, I do not have a reset key. I got my CFFA3000 back some time ago, but because of work and life events, I haven't been able to get to it until now. I wanted to use it just as an hard drive so that I could put all my diskettes on it and get rid of the floppy drives. Because my floppy drive controller is in Slot 6, I installed the CFFA in Slot 4 because I didn't feel that there was enough room in Slot 7 due to the floppy drive cables coming off the floppy drive controller. After reading the instructions, I thought that I understood what I was doing, but I guess I selected the wrong file image so that now, when I type PR#4, I get the message back "CFFA3000: NO DISK (SLOT 4)" and I don't know how to get back to the menu. Any help would be appreciated.

In addition, does someone have a quick procedure that will allow me to bypass a lot of the extraneous information for the CFFA and just set it up for a basic hard drive?

Digrafid
digrafid

Re: CFFA3000 Locked Up

Postby dlyons » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:25 am

Sorry, this reply is late…are you still having trouble?

There are a couple of ways to get to the CFFA3000 menus. I would expect that if you type PR#4 Return and immediately (within 0.3 seconds with the standard setting) press M, you'll get into the menus, no matter what disk image is selected.

Otherwise, if you have a ']' prompt, type CALL-151 Return and then C430G Return. (The '4' is for slot 4. You can CALL directly to the menu, using a hard-to-remember decimal number that you can find in the manual.)

You can configure the CFFA3000 as a "basic hard drive" by creating a new blank 32MB disk image from the menus, and selecting it. — That may or may not help you "put all the diskettes on it", depending on what those disks are. If they are all ProDOS format, maybe copying all their files onto the basic hard drive will achieve what you want. Otherwise, you're likely better off creating disk images (from the menus) of all the disks, and choosing the one(s) you want to use at a given time.

Cheers,

--Dave
dlyons

Return to CFFA3000 Support