Booting to DOS 3.3 after GSOS 6.0.1

General forum for support issues related to the CFFA3000

Booting to DOS 3.3 after GSOS 6.0.1

Postby drkenb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 am

I'm experiencing a repeatable error (at least here) and I am wondering if anyone else has come across it.

My system: IIGS ROM 1, 1.25 MB, two 3.5 and two 5.25 drives off IIGS drive port. CFFA3K card in slot 2, configured for Disk II emulator in Slot 7. 128 CF card configured as a 128 MB HSF Volume. 128 MB USB drive contains DOS3.dsk and GSOSBoot.po files as well as Copy II Plus as a .DSK file. IIGS set to boot Slot 2. DOS 3.DSK assigned to Disk II. CFFA3K Smartport assignments: first, u GSOSBOOT.PO; second, c DOS3.DSK.

Cold boots fine into GSOS 6.0.1 with the HSF volume present. Cold boot into CFFA3K menu, then select Boot Slot 7, and DOS 3.3 boots fine. But if I boot into GSOS 6.0.1, and then from that access the CFFA3K menu & try to boot Disk II (Slot 7 - DOS3.DSK), problems. If I do the same but try to run Copy II Plus 9, same thing happens. Can run DOS 3.3 and Copy II Plus 9 .DSK files fine if I reboot my system, but can not do so if the GSOS 6.0.1. desktop is up.

I've been able to repeat this scenario on 5 different IIGS ROM 1 systems, two different CFFA3K cards, and numerous combinations of USB drives and CF cards from various manufacturers and of different sizes.

Has anyone else experienced any problems in trying to warm boot to their Disk II emulator while GSOS 6.0.1 is running?

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com
drkenb

Re: Booting to DOS 3.3 after GSOS 6.0.1

Postby david__schmidt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm

drkenb wrote:Has anyone else experienced any problems in trying to warm boot to their Disk II emulator while GSOS 6.0.1 is running?

Interesting scenario - GSOS would be interrupted while the menu is up. Can you try this scenario: instead of going into the menu while GSOS is running, what happens if you exit by double-clicking, for example, BASIC.SYSTEM in your system folder - and then typing PR#7?
david__schmidt

Postby drkenb » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:32 am

Exiting out of the GSOS 6.0.1 desktop to BASIC.SYSTEM then issuing a PR#7 results in the disk emulator working fine.
drkenb

Postby david__schmidt » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Ok, that makes sense. I tried your scenario both with a ROM 03 and a ROM 01. The ROM 03 worked fine, booting DOS 3.3 from slot 7 while GSOS was interrupted/suspended in slot 2. But the ROM 01 was a different story. When booting slot 7 from the CDA menu, it goes into this super-slow trance - resetting doesn't help, and I have to power-cycle to regain control. I bet some kind of interrupt is being held in the wrong state because GSOS was left hanging. So, it sounds like a good thing for Firmware Dave to take a look at.

In the mean time... as the joke goes... Patient: doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this! Doctor: don't do that. ;-)

If you're going to go abort GSOS anyway, why go through the trouble of booting through the CDA? Why not just ctrl-OA-reset and let slot 7 boot all by itself since it's going to get hit first? Or... if you need to be in the CDA to choose a disk image, just flip back out and ctrl-OA-reset and go? Or... well, you get the idea. There are a lot of ways to reboot, and suspending GSOS to boot through the CDA on a ROM 01 sounds like a bad one for the time being.
david__schmidt

Postby drkenb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Ok, that makes sense. I tried your scenario both with a ROM 03 and a ROM 01. The ROM 03 worked fine, booting DOS 3.3 from slot 7 while GSOS was interrupted/suspended in slot 2. But the ROM 01 was a different story. When booting slot 7 from the CDA menu, it goes into this super-slow trance - resetting doesn't help, and I have to power-cycle to regain control.

That's exactly what I've experienced on this side. ROM3 works just fine, but the ROM1 either goes into Molasses Mode or hangs completely.
drkenb

Return to CFFA3000 Support