I/O errors attempting to use USB flash drive

General forum for support issues related to the CFFA3000

I/O errors attempting to use USB flash drive

Postby joeseeley » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:45 pm

Hello! I have been using CFFA cards for years, and ended up getting two of the last run (CFFA 3000 build 5?).
They work rock solid using the CF card, but recently I wanted to boot my IIGS system using a USB drive. I tried a 32GB FAT32 MBR partition on a drive and it was very flaky. Getting I/O errors trying to mount the .po images. Even if I did boot, it was very inconsistent and often bombed.

So I picked up a new SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 USB flash drive and am trying to boot off a 32GB FAT32 MBR partition. The CFFA sees the po files on the USB drive, but when I try to mount them, I'm getting the same problem: I/O errors and it's impossible to use.

I tried both of my new CFFA 3000 cards and they both exhibited this behavior. I'm running a 9Mhz ZipGS CPU in my IIGS with 8MB of RAM.

Any ideas? Do I need to purchase a special type of USB drive? Using the CF card, I've run my IIGS system flawlessly for years, but want to use the USB drive because it has more space.

Thank you very much for your time,

Joe
joeseeley

Re: I/O errors attempting to use USB flash drive

Postby joeseeley » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:36 pm

So I see someone else is experiencing the same problem (with no resolution):
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.p ... s-cffa3000

If there's a list of compatible USB flash drive types or some setting that allows CFFA 3000 to use modern flash drives, it would be great to know. Thank you.
joeseeley

Return to CFFA3000 Support