GSOS File copy error: System Error ($0040). Thoughts?

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

GSOS File copy error: System Error ($0040). Thoughts?

Postby wernst » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:06 am

All,

Just thought I would ask about this error I'm getting:

Under GS/OS 6.01, when copying multiple files in the Finder from one partition of my CFFA to another, I usually get this error partially through the copy process:

System Error ($0040). This operation can't be completed.
Invalid pathname syntax.

I can then copy the files one or two at a time without troubles. The partitions are named CFFA1 and CFFA4, and the foldernames and filenames are perfectly legal.

I can copy whole groups of files with 8-bit software like Copy II Plus without troubles. This happens with and without Dave Lyon's CFFA driver installed. I have a ZipGSX 8/64k and I get the same error when the accelerator is enabled or disabled. This GS is otherwise very very reliable, as I am able to compress and decompress large shrinkit archives without errors.

So, can anyone shed any light on this error, what it means, and how I might solve it if possible?

Thanks,
Warr
wernst

Postby wernst » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:38 am

Oh, BTW, as a test, I tried to copy a folder with of 700k of files from the CFFA to a floppy disk. It generated the same error while reading the CFFA but before even trying to write to the floppy drive, which suggests a read problem with the CFFA. On the other hand, I also got the error while copying 22 files from RAM5 into a CFFA parition, which suggests it is a write problem. Hmmmmm.

I wonder, is it possible that it is reading from the cf card too quickly for GS/OS to handle? I note that reads from Copy II Plus are much MUCH slower. Maybe it is my ram card (4 MB Ram-4-GS) as GS/OS file copies are all read into RAM first before written? But I've never had a ram error before...
wernst

Postby wernst » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:59 pm

OK, false alarm. On a hunch, I swapped out the 4MB ramcard I have with a stock 1MB, and the problem went away. Swapped the big card back and the problem returned.

A memory testing program I found reports errors in one of the banks, which uses 30-pin simms, so I'll start swapping them til I find the problem.

I'll keep you posted...

-Warr
wernst

Return to Tech Support Issues