Apple IIgs Users...

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

Postby rich » Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:44 am

If you having problems with the CFFA Interface card in your IIgs, feel free to post in this thread, or create a new topic if you like.
rich

Postby jconger » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:15 pm

I've been doing great so far with a CFFA in my ROM 01 IIgs. I installed GS/OS 6.0.1 and some utilities like ZLink and ShrinkIt. Now I want to rock the boat and get to my common home directory with AppleTalk ;)

I have a Shiva FastPath and a Linux machine soon to get CAP, so I think I have something to plug in to, but I'm not sure how to set up the IIgs.

I had the CFFA in slot 7 with a 128M SanDisk, but AppleTalk ROM only works on slot 7. I set slot 1 to "Your Card" and slot 7 to "AppleTalk"... now I need a new home for te CFFA. I moved it to slot 1.

Will all this work right? I got this IIgs used from a school, and as an old //e user the thought of anything other than a Grapper+ in slot one is very disconcerting (just got used to a serial printer interface "in" slot 1 ;)...

Thanks,
Jim
jconger

Postby rich » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:23 am

Jim,

I wish I had more experience with the IIgs, but I don't. But your question reminded me about a post that Steve Nelson made to the general forum section. Follow this link: https://dreher.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t ... tart=30&44
and note the posts by user: "apple2pd".
He did a lot of testing with a prototype of my card in numerous Apple IIgs configurations. I do recall him having some problems with Apple Talk and my card in a few configurations.

If you still have questions, please let me know, and I will try to get them answered for you by someone who knows.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2002-07-14 02:25 ]</font>
rich

Postby jimm » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:45 pm

I'm having some strange partitioning behavior with my setup. I am using a SanDisk 128MB CF card. When I boot into the GS/OS Finder, it offers to format my devices - fine, I accept. However, the sizes of the partitions are:

32MB
32MB
32MB
26.5MB (approx 27136k)

What happened to my 4th partition? I thought I was supposed to get 4 32MB partitions? Any idea what is going on here? I am confused!

thanks,
-Jim
jimm

Postby jimm » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:50 pm

Let me also note that this is without the GS/OS driver. (Haven't had time to download it yet.)

Should I try formatting under some ProDOS 8 program?

-Jim
jimm

Postby jimm » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:56 pm

Maybe I will propose an answer to my own question: the size of the card "128 MB" is using 1 million bytes to mean 1MB? However, even then it doesn't quite work out; if I take 128,000,000 and divide by 1024 and divide by 1024 again, I calculate 3 32MB partitions and 1 26.07MB partition, so I am still a bit confused..

-Jim
jimm

Postby h.katz » Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:20 pm

Actually, if you look around, we discussed this: the quick answer is that the last partition of 26.x meg is correct. Seems that th difference is the reserve blocks the CF puts aside to use when it has to realocate blocks. I think the "white paper" that Rich has a link to discusses this. (and you're also correct in the fact that the size of the CF isn't quite 128meg :))

What you've got is exactly the sizes that we've all gotten--so rest assured that your system is working properly. (For myself, all told, I still have more storage space avalable to me on my //e now than when I was running my ZipDisk 100, so I'm a happy camper. The CFFA is an amazing little device. As a side note, even tho there's no DMA on the card, with my ZipChip 8 and slot 7 set to "fast," I'm getting much better throughput than I was getting before so it feels like I have a faster system! :) )

Later.........Howard
h.katz

Return to Tech Support Issues