Note about restoring Micro,soft FAT MBR with fdisk

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

Postby Brian Patrie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:59 am

The FAQ mentions "fdisk /mbr" and that "It will not write the MBR to another drive NO MATTER WHAT OTHER PARAMETERS YOU SPECIFY."

This is true. However, "fdisk /cmbr <drive>" will rewrite the Master Boot Record of any drive. If memory serves <drive> is a number, and starts at 1 (consistent with the menus) so 1 = drive 0 = "C:". But don't trust me--make sure the other possibility is safe territory before you do it.

(Why they didn't just add this functionality to the /mbr switch is one of those stupid mysteries of the micro,soft mentality (right up there with all their extended-partition-with-sub-partitions and nut-case-mounting-order nonsense--which has surely caused many to suffer a great deal of mechanical hair-loss).) (But i digress.)
Brian Patrie

Postby Brian Patrie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:02 pm

"fdisk /status" will list the drives, with the relevant numbering.
Brian Patrie

Return to Tech Support Issues