LED won't light up

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

LED won't light up

Postby 2dysfunktional » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:39 pm

I've had an old IIgs ROM 01 collecting dust for years and thought I'd breathe some new life into it with one of Rich's latest run boards. Being a fairly moronic Apple II user I haven't been able to get the LED to light up....in any slot.

I've tried an IBM 1Gig microdrive and a Sandisk 256 MB CF card. Neither one does the trick. However when I attach an IDE drive, the LED lights up but that's about it....

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I have no other cards in any slots except a GS-RAM card in the memory expansion slot.

Thanks in advance!
2dysfunktional

Postby rich » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:29 pm

Do the CF cards that you tested work in the CFFA card, even if the light doesn't come on? Or does the light not illuminated mean that no CF card access is currently working in the CFFA card?

I ask this because I have had CF card which work fine, but the light never comes on.

If nothing works, it would be great if you could try the board in another apple II. If you don't have one or if another Aplle II also proves to not work, email me and I will arrange for a replacement card to be sent out.
rich

Postby 2dysfunktional » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:27 pm

Neither card works....or at least I don't think so. When I boot Sys 6 it is not detected. I haven't used the GSOS driver yet but I'm assuming the CF card will still be detected....or is that incorrect assumption on my part?

I've tried using Copy II plus v 8.2 but it still isn't detected....in any slot.

Like I said ....it only lights up with an ide cable and drive connected...even without power to the drive....and with or without a CF card installed.

Does that sound strange? Maybe it's just me....I'm quite rusty with the IIgs.

I have the card installed in Slot 7 with CF card in place ( although I've tried other slots with the same result) Slot is set for Your Card in the control panel.....then I boot Sys 6 or Prodos on the Copy II diskette in slot 5 drive 1. Is that right?

Forgive my ignorance :)
2dysfunktional

LED won't light up

Postby rich » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:05 pm

The best thing to do... as a general test is to boot into ProDOS and run Copy II+. There, do a verify of drive 1 and then drive 2 on the CFFA card in slot 7 (or where ever it is). The verify should not report any blocks as bad. You can do the verify either before or after you format the CF card, doesn't matter. If that goes okay, then format the card with ProDOS and try to copy some files to it from floppy or another device..

If the above doesn't work, you might try a different slot (set slot to your card) and try tests again. If nothing works, I always recommend removing any and all other cards from the system that you can and try again just to see if you can get anything working. If it still doesn't work... I would send it back. Email me privately at that point.
rich

Return to Tech Support Issues