Speed compared to Ramfast?

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

Speed compared to Ramfast?

Postby Dark Dude » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:41 am

Hello everyone,

I haven't touched my IIgs since late 1997, but can't stop thinking about it. Today I found out about this nifty card and wonder how the speed compares to a RamFAST card.

My system has quite a few cards onboard (quickie scanner card, audio animator, zip 9/64 card, 6Mb RAM, ramFAST, second sight) and am wondering if I could replace the HDD/ ramFAST with this card.

BTW, I googled myself and found this really old page: http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/USA2WUG/F ... E/bbs.html

Later,
--Doede
aka Dark Dude
Dark Dude

CFFA vs Ramfast

Postby h.katz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:43 pm

It's hard to make a comparison--the RamFAST is a direct memory access device, and it'd also depend on the type of media you're using. A ZipDisk would be slower than a standard SCSI drive. The CFFA on the other hand, even tho it's not DMA, still access all data at the speed that databus allows. On my acellerated//e, programs like AppleWorks load MUCH faster using the CFFA than it does with my Apple HS SCSI card (DMA off on the card.) Granted, the RF also has built-in cache, but most people have reported very satifactory data transfer rates with the CFFA. (If you don't have one yet, dust off that GS and get one. :) )

Later.............HOWARD
h.katz

Return to Tech Support Issues