Need help formatting partitions 3 and 4

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

Postby DSchlicher » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:30 pm

Finally installed the CFFA, and the speed and silent operation are great!

I'm not clear on how to format partitions 3 and 4, though. After reading the other posts, I've put the card into slot 5 of my ROM 1 GS and used the control panel to set slot 5 to "Your Card." But when I try to format slot 6, drive 1 or 2 (which is where I *think* partitions 3 and 4 will appear) I get a "write protect" error.

I'm running Prodos 8 2.03, System Utilities 3.1 with slot 6 also set to "Your Card," and using a 256 MB SanDisk CF.

Any advice as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dave
DSchlicher

Postby rich » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Hi Dave,

I would guess that your drives 3 and 4 will be mapped to slot 2. Unless you have a floppy or HD card in that slot also. The fact that you received a write protect error message makes me wonder if you have a floppy drive that is attached to slot six, and you have a disk in the drive?

If you really want to be sure you are not going to have problems formatting in any slot, I recommend you download Davex utilities and use its format command.

Once davex is running, you would type:
init .21 /newdrivename (of course replace "newdrivename" with a name of your choosing.)
This would format drive 1 in slot 2 with the volume name of: newdrivename
then you would enter
init .22 /newdrivename
and this would format drive 2.

You can issue the "online" command in davex to see what drives are in
what slots.

Hope this helps,
rich

Return to Tech Support Issues