Is the CFFA a bootable device

For people with technical questions about their CFFA Interface card. You can use this forum to communicate with me and with other CFFA users. If you are posting a problem, please be as detailed as possible, including any necessary sequence needed to cause the problem, your system information and any error messages.

Moderator: rich

Postby tolsen64 » Tue May 21, 2002 5:07 pm

I have not yet received my card, I only ordered it yesterday. But I'm wondering if it's a bootable device? Can it boot into GSOS? How fast is it using a CF? How fast is it using a HD?
tolsen64

Postby yakko » Tue May 21, 2002 7:05 pm

To answer your question, yes, the CFFA is a bootable device. For a IIgs, I believe one must have the slot that the CFFA resides in marked as "Your card" to be able to boot. I currently have ProDOS 2.0.3 booting on my ROM01 IIgs (off a hard drive) this way.

As for speed issues, I only have disk][ and Apple 3.5 floppy performance to test against, but it's blazingly fast in comparison.
yakko

Postby ncbill » Tue May 28, 2002 2:19 pm

For Apple //gs users -

All I have here is a Focus 170MB drive (with system 6.01) on it.

So I'm booting from the Focus card (in slot 7, 6 Prodos partitions) - and the CFFA card (with a 64MB Mr. Flash CF Card) is in slot 4 (set to "Your Card").

What tool are others using to format the CFFA card?
(anything available on under system 6.01 or will I need to be booting from the 3.5" floppy with a Prodos program to format the CFFA card?)

(I see no disk light even if I put the unformatted CFFA card in slot 7 and turn on power).
ncbill

Postby rich » Tue May 28, 2002 4:59 pm

Bill,

Since I am not a IIgs user, I checked with Dave Lyons and was informed as to the following:

No special utility is needed to format a CF card under GS/OS. When you boot into the Apple IIgs Finder and your CF partitions are not recognizable, you should get a message for each one along the lines of
"The disk in device .DEV42 is not recognized by any installed file
system. Do you want to initialize it?"

If the CFFA's green light never comes on at all, I would double-check that the CF card is completely inserted into the CFFA socket (make sure the ridge of the CF card is not >snagged on the top edge of the board).

Also the CF may just not be compatible with the CFFA.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2002-05-28 18:00 ]</font>
rich

Postby cajenn » Tue May 28, 2002 5:00 pm

I have not yet received my card, I only ordered it yesterday. But I'm wondering if it's a bootable device? Can it boot into GSOS? How fast is it using a CF? How fast is it using a HD?

I use my CFFA on a Seagate 1.2G 3.5" drive and I love it.. Speeds are comparable (In my view) to SCSI speed .. At least comparable to PC ide.. Running my bbs back on it again after major drive failure.. Luckily I had the bbs backed up using prosel 800K backup..

you can telnet to apple //gs at
telnet://rainbowsendgs.dns2go.com:23

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2002-05-29 02:39 ]</font>
cajenn

Return to Tech Support Issues