Apple II compatibility and update of CFFA

Post here if you have found compatibilty issues with a device you have tried with the CFFA Interface card. These can be accounts of both failure and success.

Moderator: rich

Postby emersonwsm » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:22 pm

Hi Rich,

I build 20 CFFA here in Brazil for many brazilian users (for cost reason) and now I see about the update of firmware 1.3 and the update of CLPD.

Is the layout of PCB modified?

Why the update of the CLPD? Which the alteration of the logic to function in Apple II+?

Thanks and best regards.
emersonwsm

Postby rich » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:21 pm

Very cool :smile:
I didn't know anybody had dublicated my project. Good job! Did you use my PCB layout or did you do your own layout? Just curious.

>>Is the layout of PCB modified?

No. No changes to the PCB.

>>Why the update of the CLPD? Which the >>alteration of the logic to function in >>Apple II+?

The timing in the Apple ][+ is a little different than the ][e enhanced and GS. In the ][+, the v1.2 CPLD will not create valid timing for the CF card, so it will not work in most cases. The changes to the CPLD are needed to make the CFFA work in the ][+ and ][e. If you want more information on the timing differences, please send me an email.
I will be posting the new firmware and CPLD logic files on my web site soon. Just have to get them ready.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2004-06-11 23:22 ]</font>
rich

Postby emersonwsm » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:34 am

Hi Rich,

Thanks!

We make an Apple 2 users reunion on last march, 06, in S?o Paulo city, here in Brazil, where I delivered many boards that I build.

The reunion one became a party because the delivery of the CFFA boards and the presence of an UniMac 512, a beta version of a brazilian Mac 512 clone (Unitron manufacture), that it was never launched in the market.

The pictures of the reunion they can be seen in http://www.apple2.com.br/modules.php?na ... age&pid=17

I build accurately the same board of your project, without modifying anything. The only exception is the boards I build don't have Compact Flash and power conectors that I don't found this on the brazilian market.

Te majority of the boards are being useds in TK3000IIe computers, an Apple IIe enhanced brazilian clone (with some Apple IIc's firmware characteristics), from the Microdigital manufacturer. This computer has an enormous vacant space under of the keyboard, that it allows the rank with surplus of space of a hard disk.

Only four units of CFFA board are being used on Apple IIgs here in Brazil (for now, I know about only five Apple IIgs users here, all original of Apple manufacture. Clones of IIgs here in Brazil was never manufactured).

Two more question:

1. An ICQ friend (F?bio Belavenuto) converted the original CFFA firmware version1.2 to 6502, but still we do not test. If I use this firmware version on the CLPD logic 1.2 on an Apple II+, simply it does not go to function because the timing of hardware?

2. The firmware/logic version 1.3 will remain functioned in the Apple IIe enhanced and IIgs?

Thanks again!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: emersonwsm on 2004-06-13 04:24 ]</font>
emersonwsm

Postby rich » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:43 pm

Hi Emersonwsm,

Yes, you will need the v1.3 of CPLD logic before it will work in the ][+, IIe.
Without v1.3 logic, it will NOT work.

Yes, the v1.3 logic will work in the IIgs and IIe enh. In fact, the timing is much better than version 1.2, so I hope more CF cards will work with version 1.3 than did with 1.2.
rich

Return to Compatibility Issues